Clicking Sound...?

T9 man

TC ModFather
From
London, UK
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
Hi there SaabSon, well I have spoken to Abbotts again about your problem and they seem to think that there is a possibility it may have something to do with the camshaft? something about possible dry oil wells, blockages!
Its a pity your across the pond, as I am certain that if was left in their hands, it would no longer be a problem!

The boffin is back from his holidays on monday, so they have promised me to present him with all of your data and see what he can come up with, but without seeing the car I am sure you'll appreciate everything is just guess work.

Good luck in the meantime with the car, I do hope you find the fault ;)

Aikmanson

Torque Junkie
From
Kingston, New York
Car
1995 Saab 900 2.0T
now that I think about it, how old is your alternator? My girlfriend's VW ticked so f****** bad, turns out her alternating was going. It is as you described, it is a low note but audible when idling, as you rev the car, the clicking gets louder. More revs = faster clicks.

Just a guess.

jarrus

Pro Tuner
From
West Midlands, UK
Car
Suzuki Swift Sport
As p said,
are you using the correct fuel?, might sound like a daft question but that could be it, I would say try using a high octane fuel, I know the petrol over there isn't as high octane as here in the UK but trying running some super unleaded though it, ( I think that's 93 over there if my memory serves me right)
as for other suggestions, apparently SAAB's are prone to loads of "querks" but common problem is also:
the gear selector switch failing (on auto models) it only happens when starting from when the car is hot,
also the CPS goes on them as well so the might be worth a look,
Are there any ECU lights up on the dash?
also welcome to the forum we do have a couple of saab "rockers" from the USA on here as well so you aren't alone :)

Aikmanson

Torque Junkie
From
Kingston, New York
Car
1995 Saab 900 2.0T
im guessing a saab "rocker" from the USA would be me? haha

agreeing with the fuel issue, should use 91 in all turbo saabs minimum, 93 would be much better. I doubt that would casue the clicking noise he describes however.

SaabSon

Wrench Pro
From
Southern California
Car
04 Saab 9-3 2.0t
I've been out of the loop for a while. We had a death in the family so my apologies for leaving the thread a bit hanging.

T9 I checked my plugs and the coils over them. Things seem to be in good shape there. I am taking into consideration all your ideas guys. I'm running high octane; the highest I can get at the stations here (96 I believe?). I know its not my alternator.

After thinking about the problem a bit more I realized that this ticking sound ONLY happens when I am at full boost. So, I'm thinking it has something to do with the turbo/exhaust. I lifted the car up and took apart my exhaust from the catalytic converter down. I did notice that when I moved around the flex, it had something that was loose in there. Not sure what to think of it. Maybe that's my clicking sound????

If I can't figure out the problem I was thinking that I should just make my exhaust louder than the ticking ; ) Possibly take out the catalytic get a downpipe and run a straight pipe.

T9 man

TC ModFather
From
London, UK
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
Hi SaabSon, well this problem of yours is certainly a bit of a head scratcher! Our fuel here in the UK starts at 95ron for unleaded and varies between 97 and 99ron for super unleaded.

There was a wilder concoction from BP which for a while was on trial here last year in east london along the A13 Canning Town, this was 105ron but they wanted absolutely silly money per litre for it? pump has disappeared now, but if anybody knows the whereabouts of any other ultra high octane juice let me know!

Have retried the lads at Abbotts and at Neo Bros for you again, and both say similar things which you have all but ruled out through your investigations to date! Not really sure what to suggest next?

But if these clever chaps here on the forum cannot find the cure to your problem? then I would suggest that you pinch yourself hard! as the problem clearly never existed, and you have just been having a terrible nightmare!! lol :bigsmile: