Clear coating polished cam cover.

If i had to remove the cam covers, sand of the paint, polish it to a shiny finish, would a high heat clear coat stick to it or would I need to do something else before the clear coat. Any ideas or tips or do's and dont's welcome. Give it to me straight.:?

skyline front cam covers dont get that hot but I would use a heat resistant clear coat just to be safe

I have tried this approach before and it ended up being a pain. The lacquer yellowed and cracked and was more hassle than it was worth. O.k. this was on a GTO where the cam covers do get very hot. With more research into better lacquers it may be do-able now, especially as paints are advancing all the time to make up for having to ditch the decent 2K stuff to save the whole world. My plenum and other bits which are polished are kept clean with the occasional buff with Meguiars Metal Polish which is a soft blue non abrasive compound, used with a soft cloth, it works very well. I'm guesing that you're after the do and leave finish though, =:)

If you want a low maintenance finish, how about anodising? Not particularly shiny but still looks good and won't flake.

Last edited:
CB
skylines are not GTOs .

Skyline cam colours dont run hot enough to damage paint. Many on the forums have simply painted them and Ive even seen them wrapped,

Personally I would either paint them or polish them . They stay polished for a long time if done properly

Another issue is a properly polished surface wouldn't have enough key for the lacquer to adhere to it. That and the heat it will eventually crack/peel

Personally I'd do as CB suggested and keep on top of it and give it a good polish every once in a while;)

My cam covers are painted, my plenum is polished, look at the phots. I've worked on and built plenty of Skylines too. I just never had the desire to own one, :bigsmile:.

Thanks guys, going for the polish and leave thing, got a flame proof up to 1000 deg C clear coat and was told as long as I don't use an acrylic clear coat I should be fine, so don't think it'll crack or anything, just worried it won't stick to polished surface. So gonna try it any way and if it fails I'll just paint it. Thanks for the replies, will let you know how it panned out.

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but how did the clear coat work out for you? What products/procedures worked the best? Has anyone else attempted this? My Lexus' cam covers, intake manifolds, and blocks are aluminum. It's an interesting idea that if polished properly and coated with a long-lasting clear, they'd be a real spectacle! Lovin' you guys' ideas on this forum!

~Michael

properly polished aluminium will always have a better shine without laquer.And they dont discolour (if done properly)
Mine has lasted five years and still going strong and the engine bay near the turbos on a tuned Rb engine gets very hot.