Cleaning!

Freddie

Road Burner
I was wondering how seriously you all take cleaning your car, and what products and methods you all use!

I was contemplating buying an electric polisher as I put quite a few swirl marks into the paint on my roof polishing by hand yesterday!.. Some people say that they can even increase the amount of swirl marks, or melt the paintwork!..

Any advice welcome!

Freddie.

The swirl marks are caused by tiny bits of dust in the cloth - I always use a microfibre cloth.

Rinse off before you start washing - no rubbing. Soft sponge - dabbing action to lift the dirt. Most damage occurs rubbing the dirt around when washing! Next phase a good scrub with car shampoo or use that clay stuff to lift off the film of dirt. By the time you come to polish it there is very little damage left to do to the paint. Meguiars do a synthetic polish that helps mask the scratches - not perfect but it seems better than most polishes.

Zymol make the most expensive polishes I have ever seen:-

http://www.torquecars.co.uk/styling/car-cleaning-tips.php

cleaning

Wayne u hit the nail on the head.
There is a dutch company who do a polish called COMMADANT i'll see if i can find any over the net that is the best stuff u will ever find and makes ur car look like new, providing u use the rite cloths. but it comes with full manual etc....
Ill have a look and when i find it over the net ill send u the link. otherwise i am going there the end of may ill bring a few bottles and people interessted can buy them off me.
It really works the dream.

And freddie never use one of those electric ones cus they do damage ur paint unless u use a decent prof. boffer with G3 compound but u better off getting a pro to do this. To try to get the paint right again and after always hand wash li ke wayne described.
cheers hope to have been of any help

Toby Jug

I was wondering if anyone had experience with Poorboy's stuff, or canubara wax, especially the P21S or S120 (I think?!)

Canubara wax is good stuff - but you need pretty good metal condition to start with. Megiars do a sythetic polish that works well on scratches and paint swirls.

i have been using all products for years and the best polish follows.... Quadralene high gloss polish. Will not mark black trim. I polish my subaru twice a week and it is unreal. I then use a low foam carwash from quadraline and the water never settles on the car.
They also have a rubber prep liquid in 5ltr tubs. This comes off when car is wet but cannot be beaten if you spray it on with old spray bottle. They do supply a tyre spray but i have never used this, every time i go out i wash my wheels as a minimum.
They also have a spray to remove fly's from the front of your car. This does not mark the paint and taken all fly's off in 10 - 30 seconds. I used this on my mates wheels and it removed brake dust from inner rim that had been there for 2 years. Another great product.
I dont work for the company and the products are great, i will never use any other again.
quadralene is based on Bateman Street in Derby.

Each to their own, Mothers clay bar system with detailer and polish. Microfibre clothes. back to black tescos for wheels and trim. old newspaper and some water for the windows. never clean on a hot or cold day. My latest antics dont involve cleaning, just a got lot of dust.

If you clean your car all the time, you become used to the idea of how it looks when its at its best, leave a car to settle for a couple of months and then clean it, best day of your year :p

You know faze_932 you are right. A car that looks clean all the time gets boring. I acutally polished my audi at the weekend and my shoulder ached for ages after but it did come up really nice. I used Meguiars NXT sythetic polish and was pretty impressed. The paintwork looks richer and deeper with a nice shine.

The thing about cleaning is knowing where to stop.. Its easily possible to get your paintwork looking like it's come straight out of the factory with the right equipment, knowledge and practice.. But is that really practical? You would cry if you even got a patch of paint which had swirls in it after spending days polishing, let alone if someone went round a key'd every panel.

I think that really we need to accept the fragile mortality of our cars and our paint!

Due to a seagull I ended up in therapy for a couple of weeks! :x

You are right Freddie - but it rained last night and pretty much all the dust, dirt and grot has now vanished. A polished car is a self cleaning car :D Might keep it polished once every 6 months or so. (How long is polish meant to stay for?)

Not sure really, depends what processes you use, how many layers etc!

Ideally you should wash, polish, wax, seal. I think! :?