cleaning the engine bay

drb666

Car
bx
i dont think my engine bay hasd ever been cleaned hense it has 20 some years of dirt i tried the other day with aload af industrial kitchen degreaser and a jetspray it wasent to bad (once i dried the engine for 2days), but now what product is there to bring the metal of the engine back like new

I've used the jetwash lance to do this.

I remove all the plastic covers at home. Drive car very carefully and gently (don't want it hot) to local tesco; use jetwash lance to clean engine bay. Leave engine running whilst doing so. Then any water that spills onto rotating stuff is thrown off immediately.

Last edited:
I would say warm up the engine a bit. Use a steam wash. There is a product called Gunk which is great. It cuts through the grime so spray this on first to soften the dirt. Then after you have rinsed it all off you can spray gunk onto the engine and leave it and it will seal everything and give a slight sheen.

(Don't spray the electrics with any form of high pressure hose. Focus the jet on the oily bits of the engine only!;))

We use Comma Traffic Film Remover, spray or brush it on and remove with low pressure water or a wet cloth. Do not leave it on though, if left it can take the colour out of paint.
This stuff is better than Gunk and the other ones available, we have tried them and although they are good, nowhere near as good as this stuff.
Everytime we do an engine build or lots of work inside the engine bay we clean it all so we get through quite a bit of it. :)

BANG and the dirt is gone!!!!

i-need-cillit-bang.jpg

Last edited:
if u hav ur own power washer that makes d water hot mix a bit of petrol wit d soap and wil look just out of d show room

When I worked in France, we used Traffic Film Remover to clean the green gunk off the sides of static caravans.

The stuff is potent but it worked wonders. Just don't let your hands bathe in it all day, not good.

When I worked in France, we used Traffic Film Remover to clean the green gunk off the sides of static caravans.

The stuff is potent but it worked wonders. Just don't let your hands bathe in it all day, not good.

Yes TFR as we called it is the stuff you want, neat in the engine bay but diluted for underwings and sills etc, its really mostly used in the road haulage business:blink1: