civic 1.6 ivtec sport coolant flushing

allsystems

Wrench Pro
Car
civic 1.6 ivtec 200
alryt guys,iv got another question. I made a thread on how to change the gearbox oil and everyone was really helpful and i got the help i needed. I was thinking if I am going to jack the car up i myt as well flush the coolant drain all the water and then add fresh coolant and water.how do i do this on my car?is there a tap to drain it all?thanks for the help guys

not 100% on hondas but i guess it's all the same.
you'll need to disconnect the water system at the lowest point, usually the bottom of the rad. let it drain and do what ever flushing method you'd prefer. Holts two part rad flush is recommended by a few people i know. just follow the directions on the bottles.

you may find a drain bolt on the bottom of your rad, if not then remove the bottom hose - remember and catch the fluid as its not really supposed to go down the drain.

i ran the hose through the res for 10 mins until it was running clear reconnected the hose fitted the thermostat - original reason for cleaning out - then filled with the correct dilution of deionised water and coolant.

i had a fiddle about today and from what i could feel i couldnt find a tap,i think il hav to disconnect the hose and then let the water run through it.il hav to get a radiator flush 2mro

you may find a drain bolt on the bottom of your rad, if not then remove the bottom hose - remember and catch the fluid as its not really supposed to go down the drain.

i ran the hose through the res for 10 mins until it was running clear reconnected the hose fitted the thermostat - original reason for cleaning out - then filled with the correct dilution of deionised water and coolant.

Deionised water PG? :blink: cannot remember seeing this mentioned on my last service from the main dealer, should I be having a word with them? :embarrest:

Deionised water PG? :blink: cannot remember seeing this mentioned on my last service from the main dealer, should I be having a word with them? :embarrest:

It's ok T it's generally just for the lower mineral content.
There is mixed feelings as to whether it's beneficial or not.

basically de ionised water or distilled water should be used as its pure, if you live in an area of really soft water then you could get away with tap water.

the minerals can build up slowly in the engine, your only talking a couple of quid for enough for a flush. distilled water is alot dearer however if you have a condensing tumble dryer then you get it for free.
cant say ive seen the any damage in cars but have seen the build up or minerals using tap water in a PC water cooling loop