Citroen dispatch Hdi fuel problem

Taylormason

Car
Citroen dispatch
Hi
I have a problem with my dispatch 2.0 HDi (2001) fuel system
It will start and idle, will not rev as normal, cuts out when driven very short distance
Amber light on dash (MIL?) code 230, when I switch ignition on can hear fuel pump in tank run for a few seconds, have taken fuel pipe off filter and fuel is being pumped from tank, engine will run continually when idling, but as soon as driven it cuts out, as if it short of fuel, switch back on, hear pump running for few seconds and able to drive short distance again.
Should low pressure pump run continually?, if not what signal tells the pump to run again.
Help appreciated

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck buddy! :)

Changed the multifunction relay today, still the same, seems to be in limp mode!!!!
Fault code 230(primary fuel pump) checked pump seems to be ok?

Last edited:
does it have 2 pumps?
Cause on mine it does and if the primary pump goes the secondary pulls the fuel through but the amount isn't sufficient to keep the engine running under load

Hi herb
Tanks for your reply
Yes there are 2 pumps, a LP lift pump in the tank and a HP pump for the injectors.
I can hear the tank lift pump running when I first switch on ignition and I have taken the fuel delivery pipe off the filter, there is fuel being pumped through.
When driven I don't know if the pump coming back on, would you know what gives the pump a signal to run again?
Rob

Last edited:
Sorted problem today
Replaced sensor on top of HP pump, now revs and runs normal
The amber fault light on dash has gone off
Be careful of fault code PO230 (primary fuel pump fault) this lead me in the wrong direction

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back