citreon ax 1400 conversion. HELP NEEDED!

fletchboy

Car
peugeot 106 1.1
Hi everyone.

I need some help, im in the process of buying a very clean 1988-89 citreon ax of a friend which currently runs a 1.1, i am gaining a profit on the sale of my own car to the ax and was looking at buying the lump from a 106 xsi 1.4, and was wondering, will the inlet manifolds fit the 1.4 from the 1.1? i wanted to do this as the ax is currently or carb and wanted to keep the car this way.

Any help would be much appreciated!!
Bill

Sounds to me like you have a good project there. I doubt the 1.1 manifolds will be anywhere near the right size for a 1.4 engine. They are AFAIK different blocks.

Why do you want to stick to carb? Fuel Injection is better for power and more reliable?

well the reason id like to stick with the carb for now is that i will be looking to go for a webber carb, and i like to play with the fuel/air mixtures and that when i mess about with air filters and that i can play with the carb rather than having to have a re-map to get an air filter to work probaly with the car. basically its the adjustability i want.

i have other questions to as i am pretty much clueless to what im gna be doing lol.

gearbox- i know the 1.4 is the same block (well thought it was) so could i leave the 1.1 gearbox on it? all im guessing is that the 1.4 would probaly have a slightly longer ratio, which i dont wnt as you cant use top speed anyway, just wanted accleration.

Hubs- right i know you can get a 1.4 gt engine but i wanted the engine from the 106 as it has about 100bhp as standard were the ax's engine is around 85bhp (again correct me if im wrong). Would i need the front legs/hubs from the 106 cause i know the ax gt is 3 stud but the 106 is 4 stud but i did think they were both the TU block? So yeah would i need all the hubs and driveshafts.

If anyone knows of anything else i should look out for then let me know.

I doubt the 1.1 would last very long. I have seen guys using 1.3 gearboxes on 2.0 engines for the low ratios but they rarely last more than a few hundred miles.;)

Not sure if you would need the hubs as well as the driveshafts. I'd say definately the driveshafts you might get lucky and be able to use them with your standard hubs.

Yeah you maybe right but ill only be running 300cc more not 700cc more ;) lol. Ill have to go for the trial and error, i just losy my buyer on my pug so a 1.6 gti may be on its way now,

well you cant fit the 1.1 manifold to the xsi head, it has different spacing.

Also the top engine support for a 1.4 is different/ stiffer.
you should have to weld in the engine support.

the pre 92 gearboxes are weaker then the later gearboxes wich all cope with all NA 8v tu engines...

well good luck with these plans

106 quiksilver 1.4 has 85 bhp
106 rallye 1.3 has 100 bhp
Hope this helps + rallye engines are ex.rare