The contents of this Thread may cause Offence.
Reader Discretion is Advised!

So I had probably better start this thread by explaining what I'm doing with this car, why and what I've done so far.

Atomic Gwen
The reason for this name is a simple one. My number plate is AT-- GWE and this is a post apocalyptic build. So "Atomic Gwen" seemed to fit nicely.

The Reason Behind the Build
Since my Dad first sat me down to watch the original Mad Max film, I've been hooked on the Post Apocalyptic/ Wasteland aesthetic.
Eventually I started building Rat Bikes and even came 4th and 5th in a custom build show with two that I had made.
After some time building, I found out about a post apocalyptic festival in Buckinghamshire called Apocalypticus: Road to Ruin. We have now gone every year since it started.
Last year was the first time I went without a themed vehicle. So I decided to pick up a car for once and start my build in the hope it will be ready for this year and if not, then at least next year.

The Plans for this Build
The plans are pretty simple. Repair the car for as cheap as possible, probably using parts that shouldn't fit (It is the wasteland after all)
Get it through an MOT and start the process of turning it into something that scares people at the traffic lights.

* Stripped Interior.
* Upgrading parts of the engine to give a little boost on power.
* Fitting a Roof Rack with Fog Lights.
* Fitting a new set of wheels on (possibly freelander) with Off Road Tyres.
* Doing some bodywork to give it a Muscle Car look.
* Repainting the Car (Possibly a worn look with spots of "Rust"
* Armouring up, starting with removing the rear windows and replacing with Aluminium Sheet.

What's been done so far?
Since I bought the car, I've had a few issues.
The first being that while driving it back home at night, it didn't have any dash lights (common issue with these cars) this should be getting repaired over the weekend.
This particular issue is usually a £150 fix as it is down to the circuit board in the back of the unit.. Well I'm a cheap skate, so I have purchased a pack of Leds that I'm going to fit in front of the cluster so I can see my Speedo at night.
The second "Big" issue was that the previous owner had only put water in the cooling system and had repaired a hose with steel pipe. So other then the rust, the water had froze at work, expanded, then proceeded to crack the plastic on the radiator filler neck.
This has required;
Removing the entire cooling system,
Replacing the hoses and filler neck,
Cleaning the expansion Chamber,
Boiling the thermostats in Vinegar (the reason is that after buying 3 Thermostats for my car, none of them actually fit)
And cutting down a rubber seal from another thermostat to fit.

Lastly on this post (It's getting a little Long)
I have started to strip down the interior to make it as light as possible before adding all my unnecessary wasteland junk.

Thanks for reading and I will update soon.
Redd

_20191130_093132.JPG

Love it, looking forward to your updates. Thanks for sharing this with us all.

_20200125_191606.JPG
So I've taken the dash out and drilled holes for LEDs, then sprayed it up and fitted it all back.
_20200125_191526.JPG

While working on this part, I also took out the stereo part of the dash, painted it up and removed the Chrysler Clock.

I've replaced this with Atomic Gwens Reactor.
_20200125_191633.JPG

Bad news on the Car.
It went for an MOT last week. Paid to get some small parts repaired and everything seemed fine.
Started grinding then next day, so I drove it back to the garage.
On the way, the Engine Management light came on, the Oil Warning light came on and everything cut out.

It seems like the oil pump failed and the engine siezed. Not the way I wanted it to go, especially as money is tight. Oh well.

The last update on this unfortunate vehicle:

Due to the issues I had with this car, it has finally been scrapped (delayed due to Lockdown)

I was offered the option to have a new engine but the cost was way more then I was willing to pay.

On the bright side, I did recently pick up a new car; a 2.0 206CC for £100, but I won't be going down the same post apocalyptic route with this one (I'll leave that for my motorcycle builds)

Looks like I will be starting a new build thread.

Stay safe guys |B

Oh no, sorry to hear that. Looking forward to your new build thread though, it's all part of the learning curve.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back