chop top mk2

hi all.

thought you might like my project, it,s a mk2 cortina which am am fitting a 3.5 rover v8 with a single t4 turbo.
IMGP0558.jpg

IMGP0557.jpg

it,s having a custom made chassis which is being lazor cut and all jag running gear. it will run on 20" front wheels and 22"rears and a custom turbo set up running intercooler and charge cooler.
050_zps35aeffde.jpg

039_zpsaafbcb79.jpg

029_zpsad2370f1.jpg

008.jpg
:bigsmile:

*Hi buddy, you need 10 posts before being allowed to post any photos or URL's, this helps us to deter the spammers. I have made a one off exception here and released your photos - get a few more posts in without pictures off course then the system will allow them through*

T9 man
Super Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
not posted for a bit but still on it, seats now in.

column and steering wheel in,

also starting to sort engine to get it running.

got a few bits coming this week so at the weekend should be able to pull the engine out and fit the new bits. more soon

cheers t9, im still living those days.

engine is now almost ready to run. all the last bits have been welded up inside the shell and its now welded on. next is to start making all the new floor panels and to sort a pedal box. more soon.

hi mate cracking build mate being an old school ford guy myself this is a bit like a dream lol
was wondering what size and gauge you went for with the chassis as im about to go for building my own chassis from scratch to suit an old ford not sure what yet but the boy has his heart set on an old zephyr
any info u would like to give me would most appreciated cheers

hi marshyboy,
i have used 2mm wall 100x50 box. have only gone this thin as i have a full cage built to it to add strength. would use aleast 3mm without the cage. hope that helps. make a good project a zephyr, good luck with it

bit of an update, floors going in.

more soon

not posted for abit but quite a bit of progress has been made. all the floors and bulkhead are now in .fuel tank nearly done with just top to weld on.

and the car sits exactly how i wanted it.

also a couple of pics of the floor panels.

more soon

That's cool I like that |B
I was thinking of some sheet metal done the same way for the underside of my bonnet. I'll have a look around as I may be lucky. :)

thanks sapph1, not posted for awhile but car is now in the final stage of welding and will be body worked over the next few weeks and xmas. hoping to have some paint on in the new year.heres some pics more or less complete down at the nsra supernationals in august.

thanks for the invite old git but as you say a little to far away. does not stop me though coming along to a meet next year when car is sorted for a chat.|B

You will be more than welcome. We will be at next year's Classic Ford Show on 5th June at Santa Pod.

Most chassis and cages are MIG or TIG welded these days. TIG is the preferred method for cages. You have to make sure that you get a thorough penetration when chassis welding as the welds are often ground flat (not done on cages which is one reason TIG is used as the weld is usually neater)

awesome build! would like to see how this one will turn out. checking out the thread, i've seen great progress.

yes im well into the bodywork now and only 2 or 3 weeks away from paint, the car will be purple again but much darker and im having another colour matched which im hoping will be sorted this week. will post some more pics once i have some real progress.

Keep us posted, I really like this project. You've got a vision and followed it through to the end! Well done, impressive work as well.

hi all,
not been on for awhile but i have been busy. i have another build on the go and i am in the process of up grading the cortina .

should i put the new build on as a separate build or put on with this build.

hope your all well and staying indoors.:)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back