Choosing a remap based on peak BHP

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Most people seem to choose the remap based on peak BHP! Isn't this like buying a radio based on the Peak speaker output?

The torque through the rev range and smooth delivery are what really counts.

Why though are people comparing a 190bhp peak power remap with a 175 peak power remap when the 190 remap only delivers this power over a 300 rpm rev band and averages out at 140 whereas the 175 bhp remap averages out at 155!

If people saw rolling road power graphs would it actually help them decide which remap is the best? Are all remaps the same anyway?

You can combine peak torque and power with the same map.

The compromise with remapping is between torque and long term reliability.

This is not like having to choose between different cam profiles where there is an absolute trade-off between peak power and general driveability.

off the shelf remaps as it were are not perfect in any way shape or form. what you really want is a custom rolling road remap, to fully maximise the potential of your setup....

For one it's about bragging rights, 175 or 190 you tell me, two; education, most people just don't understand that for true performance the 175 tune will get you much further and that the 190 is a mere useless number. Now take those people for a spin around a track in both cenarios and then see how many will still go for the 190 tune!!!

IF you remap for absolute peak power you will be on the verge of detonation as the leaner mixture gives most power and you will have to lower the boost on hot days. I always recommend a safe tune.

IF you remap for absolute peak power you will be on the verge of detonation as the leaner mixture gives most power and you will have to lower the boost on hot days. I always recommend a safe tune.

With diesel motors lean running is the norm - no throttle as such

Sorry ,I was referring to petrol motors only.:embarrest:

I was thinking of the fact that Mr Waynne (OP) has just gone down the derv route.

Diesel - lean running the norm . . . . . apart from under full bore acceleration when they run super rich for a few seconds and chuck out clouds of soot :-D

I would much prefer to see torque&power graphs before i get a remap. Peak power is right at the top of the revs, and how often do you use that in day to day driving? I'd prefer more torque between 1500-2500 rpm