Chipping vs chip tuning vs remapping

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an interesting discussion thread. What are the main differences between Chipping vs chip tuning & remapping or do they all mean the same thing to your mind?

When would you remap and when would chipping be a better option? What are your opinions on these often used terms.

What is chip tuning? - http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/chip-tuning.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally would not entertain chipping at all. In my opinion a chip is prepared using generic data for your particular model of car. What this fails to do, is to take into account your current hardware and engine dynamics, this is where a remap done properly on a rolling road is a huge performance advantage and for me; the only way to do the job properly.

^ Must try that then on the beasts next remap ;) How does this actually differ from a gadget plugged into the car on a rolling road which is then tweaked after the readings have been downloaded to compensate for the findings? Never really viewed there being a big difference between the two. I do however bow to your vastly superior knowledge on such things claymore :)

Live mapping just means mapping the car in the real world, on a private track or somewhere like bruntingthorp. RR's are great for peak hp figures but you can't reproduce real time driving on rollers.

For most of us tho without access to private testing grounds m'lord (;-> a rolling road is the next best thing.

Generic remaps and piggyback chips are fine for ubiquitous turboed engines. When I change my diesel tho for a big n/ petrol my plans are for sports cat, free flow exhaust, improved intake. Then I'll want a custom specific remap done.

Not overly keen on rolling road mapping (ok for basic setup). I preffere live mapping.
hi claymore iv a 2006 v70 t5 260 bhp standard im booked for a celtic remap in april track / race map im putting a k&n air filter on to improve the breathing thinking about a boost controller not sure if possible to fit one also any ideas of any other mods i can do without breaking the bank any ideas thanks

What if this is not able to do, is to take into consideration your present components and motor characteristics, this is where a remap done effectively on a moving street is a large performance benefits and for me; the only way to do the job effectively . . . .

Mapping is specific to each car so the nearer to reallife it is done the better the results.

Chipping is obviously not car specific so will never be as accurate unless you are astonishingly lucky.

By the same logic live mapping ( whilst driving) will always be better than on any rolling road as the conditions should be nearer to those found in reality.

Another factor not other mentioned is the range of the ecu used to map the car. 64 bit ecu will have four times the number of mapping squares as a 32 bit one . This enables the map to be be set up better providing the mapper has the skill and the time. (and you have the money)

Some higher end ecus also have extra plug ins . My HKS v pro gold has a variable launch control add on and I also have the option of switchable maps so I can put in race fuel and just call up the relevant map.

In some cases a custom map can be 'burned' onto a chip which is then physically installed in the ECU in place of the chip containing the factory map. This would be done in cases where the code cannot be written via the OBDII port.

I had to have a nistune board fitted to my ecu before they could remap,so in a way is this a chip and remap? it made a big difference to the car,for the best!!!

Chips are pre programmed so a nistune can't be a chip

As a trainee pedant I feel I should also point out fitting a nistune isn't a remap adjusting it is

If the Nistune board and it's onboard EPROM are re-programmable then it's a remap performed by means other than via the OBD2 port.

Fitting an aftermarket ECU with custom code also equally qualifies as remapping.

Remapping doesn't necessarily have to be performed via the OBD2 port.

Toyotas, for example, are next to impossible to remap via OBDII. I'd never fit a tuning box but if the ECU's code can be altered by means of a custom programmed EPROM then that's a remap in my opinion.

Last edited:
For Skylines, a bloke here in Sydney uses a Nistune board to road tune the car, the tune is done and saved on the board, he then burns the newly tuned map on a clean after market chip and replaces the stock chip with that.

Ah,ha i have learnt a thing or two!,not sure but i think the nistune boards are made in australia,so is this the guy in sydney?,i saw some stuff on you tube about them,mainly australian footage.

Yes Nistune is located in South Australia, the bloke in Sydney is Toshi. The boards were made for Nissan motors but there are a few toyota's that can make use of them. They have software updates for it and you can do the tune yourself or have it professionally done. Quite a few blokes over here have done their own tuning already. They can supply you with all the hardware and software you need to do it yourself.