Chipping or Re-Mapping

howky

Car
Audi Quattro A4
Hello i have bought an Audi A4 Quattro Sport 1.9TDI estate off a guy a chip has been piggy backed to the ECU theres a switch were i can have it on or off is this a good way or is it better to have the ECU re mapped or have a chip changed? i dont know much about this subject so any advice would be grateful thanks gone from 130 bhp - 180 bhp but not sure if this is at wheels or fly

hey and welcome to the site.

some tuning boxes do work but it depends on whos box it is. imo a remap will read the actual figures from the ECU rather than "faked" values from the tuning box.
180 is a pit high imo for the 130 engine so watch your turbo

and the 180 is at the fly

Get a decent remap mate, you just need a generic one for a diesel with no other mods, you can get one for under 250 quid these days at loads of places. I think Awesome GTI is near you and they do them. The engine is very strong and can handle being permanently remapped. I'm guessing yours is the 130, I have the same engine in my Bora, remapped to 170bhp and 290lbft, it's a fairly mild map that won't ruin my turbo or my clutch. I had it done at 106k and am now on 127k with no turbo or engine trouble. I had to have a new clutch recently but both me and the mechanic think that was just mileage and not the remap, as the DMF was actually still in good condition and didnt really need changing,and it's the DMF that suffers with a too aggressive map - the clutch is rated to 300lb ft.

If you feel like going to Hemel I got mine done there for 130 quid.

Get a decent remap mate, you just need a generic one for a diesel with no other mods, you can get one for under 250 quid these days at loads of places. I think Awesome GTI is near you and they do them. The engine is very strong and can handle being permanently remapped. I'm guessing yours is the 130, I have the same engine in my Bora, remapped to 170bhp and 290lbft, it's a fairly mild map that won't ruin my turbo or my clutch. I had it done at 106k and am now on 127k with no turbo or engine trouble. I had to have a new clutch recently but both me and the mechanic think that was just mileage and not the remap, as the DMF was actually still in good condition and didnt really need changing,and it's the DMF that suffers with a too aggressive map - the clutch is rated to 300lb ft.

Thanks for the info guys ill get it done

Could I just ask what your mileage is? I'm thinking of getting mine done (1.9tdi passat), its 115bhp but its done 140k miles which I'm thinking is a bit too far to be gettting it remapped?

are you supposed to tell your insurance companie ? is it detectable?

I would, not worth the risk. If you are involved in a serious crash resulting in people getting injured or worse.., I'm pretty sure they would find out if it's been tuned or not, specially if you get the tuning box. And if you haven't told the insurance about it.. then its basically the end of your life, certainly your driving life.