Checks for a MOT

kemo

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford Sierra 2000E
Preperation for the MOT will greatly increase your chances of a pass. Remember, failing an MOT for something as simple as a brake light bulb is going to cost you a re-test. Although some MOT testing stations offer a free re-test, you will likely find they have higher prices. Phone around for the lower test prices and ask family or friends on who they use - listen to recommendations.

Occasionally there will be MOT testers who will fabricate faults with your vehicle in order to gain cash for unecessary work. With this in mind, some may see it as a good idea to use MOT testing stations who do not carry out repairs and only offer the MOT test. Either way, it is worth gaining some knowledge of testing procedures and lower your chances of a failure. Many of the tests of the MOT are very simple where faults can be rectified with no experience and for little or no money at all.
1. Windscreen
Check your windscreen for stone chips or cracks as these will fail the test. Also ensure there are no obstructions to visibility from the swept area of the windscreen such as stickers. The swept area is where the wipers sweep the windscreen and the area that is tested. Any cracks or stone-chips larger than 10mm diameter will fail.
2. Windscreen washer jets
Windscreen washer jets should function correctly. A common problem with washer jets is blockages from dirt or wax polish which can either be blown out with compressed air or a small needle or pin.
3. Wiper blades
Ensure your windscreen wiper blades are clearing the screen correctly and curving with the shape of the windscreen and not lifting away at the tips. Grab the wiper blade and give it a tug to ensure it is secured to the wiper arm.
4. Tyres
Tyres must have a tread depth of at least 1.6mm and have no cuts, cracks, bulges, splits or damage to the side walls and tread. Although the spare wheel is not included in the MOT, it must be legal if you have one so while you are checking your tyres, remember the spare.
The two front tyres can be a different type and size to the rear or vice versa, but they cannot be different if on the same axle so do check this.
5. Lights
Check your headlights for dipped/main beam, front and rear sidelights, stop / reversing / fog / indicator lights etc. Every bulb on the exterior should be functional and no cracks or damage to the lens of each lamp. Colours should be correct on each lamp, red must be red, headlights must be clear as well as reversing lights, indicators must be amber etc etc. Also ensure reflectors are in good condition without damage or corrosion.
6. Mirrors
Check rear view mirror and at least one door or wing mirror are both secure. You must have at least two rear view mirrors fitted to your vehicle - one inside and one outside.
7. Bodywork
Bodywork must be in reasonable condition without any sharp edges which may cause injury to pedestrians. Both front and rear bumpers must be secure with end caps in place. All doors must be able to be opened from both inside and out.
8. Petrol Cap
Petrol cap must provide a proper seal so petrol vapours cannot be accidentally ignited from sources of ignition outside the vehicle.
9. Exhaust
The exhaust must be secured and undamaged without holes. The exhaust will be checked for leaks too so must not be blowing.
10. Shock Absorbers
Shock absorbers will be checked for leaks and effectiveness. You can check them yourself by bouncing each corner of the vehicle. The vehicle should go down with your press then raise back up to full height then back down a little. If it feels too bouncy then you should have them checked by your local garage.
11. Horn
The horn should function correctly and be loud enough to alert other road users.
12. Seats and seatbelts
Seats must be firmly secured in place. Hold the top of the back-rest and make a rocking motion from side to side firmly to check for weakness. I have seen this done on an MOT on my own vehicle during an inspection. For the seatbelt, grab the belt firmly then make a sharp pull on the belt, it should lock and prevent you from pulling further.
13. Number plates
Vehicle number plates must be clearly visible so make sure they are clean, well secured with the characters evenly spaced.
14. Emissions test
Finally, your vehicle will be tested for harmful emissions. For diesel engines, the main offender here is the fuel filter which when fouled causes the black smoke you sometimes see on the road. Diesel engines are cleaner than ever today so there is no excuse for smoke. A well serviced engine nowadays should walk through the emissions test without a problem.
On both petrol and diesel engines that are a little tired, changing the oil and the fuel / air and oil filters will help your engine to keep within the pass threshol

Just to add to the mirrors bit. You must have a drivers side outside mirror. Doesn't matter about the passenger 1 you must have a drivers side. I had a Rover 214 with a missing drivers side but it had the passenger side mirror so I asked my local garage and they advised me before I went for the MOT that it must have a drivers side wing mirror...Oh and the 1 inside...

over here, if your car fails on a visual test, such as, light bulbs, tyres,horn
basically anything they dont have to wire the car up to a machine, a retest is free

but yeah, your spot on mate, prep before a test is good

first the lights
reverse lights are not part of the mot and before any one asks nor is the front fogs
not every light has to work as long as there is the same ones working both sides say you have 2 brake lights each side one top one bottom both top ones have to work ect but bottoms dont

mirrors
have to have a drivers door mirror and pass door mirror or inside miror

bodywork
bumpers dont even have to be there has long as no one can hurt them selfs by sharp eges caused by rust or crash damage but then you can tape them up

front door have to open from the insides and out rears dont but the tester can say no i am not testing it till they open from inside or out

seat belts look for any damage on them

seats front seats can not move rear seats only the backrest is checked

but at the end of the day its all down to the tester its what he/she thinks is dangerous

but beware cheap mots are known to fail more so they can get there retest fee but most easy things like lights tyres ect are a free 10 working day retest

from your local mot tester

all goes on how loud it is if its only a small blow its ok but then it might go through the Emissions test

but have had ones with only a small blow fail the test and ones with big blows pass just a case of how clean your engine is running

Most will fail with a perforated exhaust.

Presenting a clean car always helps the tester's overall opinion of the vehicle. If he or she needs to update their tetanus jabs before getting in the driving seat they will lean toward a failure.

I can totally believe that. When my cars were tested last July the tester told me that he'd recently been examining Zafira and whilst checking seats for mounting security had found a use nappy under the drivers seat

Yuch.

i have never had that
some used clothes we will leave it at that lol and what we did with them lol

how some people can drive there cars like that my car is not the cleanest inside but its all in jackets and boxes and golf clubs

Good article Kemo, thanks for posting it up. It must have taken a while to research and write it up. Much appreciated.