Check Engine Light

projectbimmers

Torque Junkie
Car
BMW 318ti m44
Vehicle: 1996 BMW 318ti m44 1.9L motor. Had the battery disconnected for a few days while servicing the vehicle for a few things and handling some project work. While the battery was out I fully charged it (Optima Yellow top).

When I installed the battery back and put the car back together to make her driveable I drive around a bit and notice the check engine light come on. The car however is running fine. No sputtering, no hard idle, nothing amiss at all. This goes on for a few days with me wondering what it could be. I dont have a scan tool for this vehicle handy as I must have misplaced it perhaps when I moved here from NJ. Who knows.

Either way. One day I pretty much said to hell wit it and drove the car "spiritedly" to say the least. I Drove it like I stole it and really got into the gears up and down shifting and having fun. The check engine light went off and hasn't been on since. Now I really have no idea what that was about.

Still scratchin m head..

You do need to get it scanned, there are so many reasons an engine light will come on. The code will be stored so at least you can read it and determine where the problem lies.

Most common engine check light reasons.

Faulty wiring, defective sensor, soiled AFM or Lambda. Spark plug issue, faulty coil. Even high battery drain or low battery can cause this light to appear.

When a car is sitting for a while you can get issues where carbon hardens or a thin layer of rust builds up and this can cause issues until it burns/rubs away!