cheap suspension kit

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
ok im after a cheap suspension kit and the chepest i have found so far is around the £200 mark for a 30mm drop and dampers does anyone know of any cheaper than this????
im going cheap cause of a tight budget of £500 and nearly £200 of the budget is going on new bushes all round £50 for the mot so max i can go for the suspension is £250 but i want it as cheap as possible just incase of anything i have over looked to get it to pass the mot

so any help finding a cheap kit will be appreciated!!!!

Playing devils advocate... why not wait until you can afford more? Cheap <--> Suspension are not generally too things I'd ever recommend mixing...

Playing devils advocate... why not wait until you can afford more? Cheap <--> Suspension are not generally too things I'd ever recommend mixing...

its not really devils advocate all the cheap kits i have seen are tuv aproved so their not going to drop apart!
im just after a kit that will drop the car 30mm and slightly stiffen the ride:bigsmile:

get it mot'd first

then worry about the suspension.
im doing the suspension before the mot cause i know a cv boot needs replacing and a few bushes so while its all apart i may aswell kill 2 bird with 1 stone ;) plus i have a bad track record of splitting ball joints :amuse:

£200 sounds mea cheap for springs and dampers...

My Tein coilovers retail at 1k!

Yeah but you're paying for the name and they whack the price up for jap owners because most of them don't actually know what they are buying so just think it must be better because it's more expensive.

Ebay kits are available for around £160-200 and arnt supposed to be not to bad a ride but more for a drop than anything.

MAs right theres alot of kits out there that are all made in the same factories and different stickers stuck on them.

herb, gbp 200 sounds like a good price - i, like Munday, have Teins buts that because it was a choice of them of JW from germany and these were cheaper, i used to use the cheap kits in in similar price range as your thinking of (again TUV approved) and for the money they worked really well, nice drop and a much stiffer ride with significant handling benefits. Cant see getting much cheaper than this though and have a phobia aganist buying things from ebay.

Gmax kits are cheap as chips. Gas shocks are better than oil filled and are less prone to leaking.

IMHO I do belive that you get what you pay for. Suspension setup is very much down to driver preference and I recommend that people get adjustable shocks so they can be set up for your driving style.

I guess most aftermarket kits are better than OEM and it will look better lower;)

cut the springs yourself,

take of the shocks and angle grind off 2 rings
my mate always does it for people and it looks mint

looks good but doesnt work that well. unless you get the springs tensioned. basially your putting the same weight on a small and less tense spring.

the first set of lowering springs i had were standard ones that we "shrunk" with an oxcy-acetlyne torch./ When you heat the springs up they will contract, cheap and easy - doesnt exactly improve the handling though.

Is there anywhere that sells beefed-up springs/shocks that DON'T lower the car?

The front suspension on the Bora is getting very soft, I'd like to put uprated stuff on but I don't want it lowered.

You might find Golf V6 springs or similar are suitable instead. The TDI does ride quite high, I doubt you'd lose much lowering it 25 mm - it's probably sagged that much over the years anyway.;)

this is pretty interesting, note the comments on mixing components from different manufacturers - the amount of shops that advised i did this (even Demon Tweeks) when i was looking for something for the scooby was unbelievable.

alot advise that if your not fitting collis is to use the strut from A and the springs from B
lot of reading there methinks me will have a good read through it later