Chatting to strangers about their cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When was the last time you chatted to a stranger about their car?

Did they mind? What car was it? I find the drivers of hot hatches and production cars are often wary assuming you want to nick it.

With classic cars the reaction is totally different and they will generally even take you round the block and lift up the lid for you to see the engine.

Flash car drivers are generally, i've found snobish and unwilling to even acknowledge you.

What reactions have you had in this situation.

I agree, classic car owners are usually more receptive to people interested in their cars and likewise boy racers in 1.2ltr corsas aren't, but i guess it depends on the setting, trying to have a chat with someone on a petrol station forecourt is a lot harder than meeting up with people at cruises or meets, most of the shows i have been to people want you to come and have a look but touch it at your peril :lol:

You are not going to believe this, but the last stranger I stated talking ''car'' to was a bar man down south about 3 weeks ago when I was on a course. After the usual chit chat (you dont sound like your from round here nonsence) we got chattin. He had an Astra done up to the max.

Anyway, my money, phone, wallet, fags were on the bar as always. He kept pooring me beer, and I thought he was taking my money from my change. But he wan't. I told him he had 4 got and he told me not to worry about it. After about (all free of charge and considdering I was drunk when I started talking to him) 5 pints, 2 jago bombs, taqueela and some sammy b's he locked the door.

Thats when I did the tackticle ''off for a piss'' then never return trick.

Im not talking ''car'' to any bar man again!

Which door?

:lol::lol:

but you do find that classic or yank owners will talk about there car cos they have worked on it normaly spent way to much on it cos they love the cars and want it to look nice none of this mine is better then yours
well only between mates lol

but the (boyracer) corsa type chavs lol is my car is better then your car i have spent 100k on my corsa is 3 ton heaver but stil has the 1.2 engine
some talk to you but not many

but i dont care who i talk to about any of my cars but kitt does get the most views

Have regular Saab club meetings and i'm always seeing new faces there. Everyone makes the effort to talk too someone about their cars even if their knowledge is limited, which is marvellous! always great banter! ;)

If I see something I think is cool I will comment to the owner most people just say thanks and leave it at that. The most receptive are older enthusiasts with a classic job, still it's all about pride in your car.

phillip island Australia , has a supplementry regulation that ANYONE who asks a question of an owner /driver will be treated like a lost brother , bonnents opened , and healthy conversation encouraged . this promotes interest in motor sports and works .

eBay has been a great way to meet new people. Selling Lotus and Cosworth parts only means I deal (mainly) with people with similar interests.

I met Nick (from Carbonweezel - he now makes my carbon fibre bits) when he bought some wheel turntables for a friend of his.

I also met Rod Tarry (of 200+mph Sapphire Cosworth fame) when he came over to collect a front bumper he had won.

A few years ago a guy turned up in his Elan to pick up some bits and we are now good friends. Even better, he is a carpenter and did me a very good deal on our new decking :)

When people turn up to collect bits, we usually end up chatting for some time about our respective projects. I now have a lot more friends with similar interests than I had before eBay was invented :)

Last edited:
I've approached the odd classic car and got talking to the owner, always nice to acknowledge them and gets them talking. Got a few caught off guard and mentioned things about their cars that few people know about! Not that fussed about supercars or newer ones as the owners are too far up themselves to care, just want to brag I find.

I've approached the odd classic car and got talking to the owner, always nice to acknowledge them and gets them talking. Got a few caught off guard and mentioned things about their cars that few people know about! Not that fussed about supercars or newer ones as the owners are too far up themselves to care, just want to brag I find.

Agree. Once someone realises that you actually know what you are talking about they are happy to chat. This often results in the exchange of useful info.

Had a great chat with a VW camper van owner the other day. He went for a rat look and sticker bomb boot but I spotted the uprated brakes, and top spec exhaust. It turned out he had a Porsche engine fitted last year to it and it is a really quick vehicle, amazing when you see it as there is not much that gives the game away.

I find it quite nice actually, being able to talk to complete strangers about your hobby! I met a guy called Dan who owns a gorgeous Integra, we ended up chatting until about 2 in the morning. LOL

Still like chatting away to strangers at club meets and shows, some real characters out there.
Never takes long to spot the enthusiast from the dreamers, but as long as we have the same thing in common - cars! then that's good enough for me.

I have fond memories of chatting to a couple of strangers about cars for an hour or so while in London some time ago :)