Charcoal filter?

RobBentley

The Torque Meister
Car
Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
Hey Guys.

My C63 has two filters in each air box... a normal paper air-filter and what Mercedes call a 'charcoal' filter. I've heard of a lot of AMG owners removing the charcoal filters to increase air-flow and thus horsepower...

I'm not honestly that worried about removing mine, 482bhp and 479lb/ft with a remap is already too much for the rear wheels to cope with, but it did get me pondering. What is the charcoal filter for? I've never even heard of one before, and none of my other cars have had two filters? What does it do beyond what the standard air filter does, and thus what are the negative effects when removing it?

bae9314b.gif

You agree, I'm confused. It looks like two filters one on top of each other in the airbox? Is there a pipe coming into the air box in between them or something? I think I am going to have to take my air boxes apart and have a look... I hate not knowing how stuff works :p

One will be for the fuel vapour & the other is (I'm guessing) most likely recirculating the oil vapour from the crank case, in most cars this is reintroduced into the inlet manifold to be burnt off in the combustion process.

On some cars this causes a problem, in my MG for example, the collected vapour condenses in the VIS motors & gums up the linkages in the manifold. Your car will be different but that's the gist of it. :D

Charcoal filter most likely for fuel gasses. Been around for years. My dad's 25 year-old Daimler 3.6 has one.

I really must get out more! They have been at least 25 years in existence and I have never heard of it :embarrest: I have heard however of a charcoal water filter which I have on my fridge freezers water supply :blink:

My car has carbon impregnated cabin filters - one for each side. I imagine the reason for impregnated air intake filters is simply to control the release of petrol vapours whilst the engine is off. Can't see performance will be depleted much really.

My car has carbon impregnated cabin filters - one for each side. I imagine the reason for impregnated air intake filters is simply to control the release of petrol vapours whilst the engine is off. Can't see performance will be depleted much really.

Blimey, I'm like a dinosaur! Or at least my Saab is :lol:

I didnt realise air intake filters could get pregnant. Is it an a-sexual process or is there another dirty filter involved?

Well I took apart my air boxes today, and I don't even have the charcoal filters like lots of the videos and pictures online show, nor the plastic clips inside the air box lots of C63's have that hold the secondary filter... I guess they're not used in the UK market!