Changing the coolant water

I know antifreeze only lasts so long,i am not sure how long though! i change my coolant every couple of years,it seems to be ok doing this.I think someone will post the right time to do this sooner or later,that way we will both learn something! o.k.

OAT coolant can allegedly go ten years. So if that's what your car uses then change every five let's say. Don't use standard antifreeze in cars designed for OAT coolant

What does it do?

Wiki said:
OAT-based extended-life coolants
OAT stands for Organic Acid Technology, and includes such ingredients as sebacate, 2-ethylhexanoic acid (2-EHA) and other organic acids, but no silicates or phosphates (except in the case of Toyota's pink extended-life coolant, which adds a dose of phosphate to its extended-life OAT-based antifreeze). OAT-based coolants are usually (but not always) dyed a different colour to distinguish them from traditional blue/ green antifreeze. GM OAT-based Dex-Cool is orange. Volkswagen/Audi uses a similar product that is dyed pink. But Honda has an extended-life OAT coolant that is dyed dark green and does not contain 2-EHA.
The corrosion inhibitors in OAT coolants are slower acting but much longer-lived than those in traditional coolants. Consequently, OAT coolants typically have longer a recommended service life.
OAT corrosion inhibitors provide excellent long-term protection for aluminium and cast iron, but may not be the best choice for older cooling systems that have copper/brass radiators and heater cores. It depends on the formula.

http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Organic_Acid_Technology

Probably wouldn't be nice in your porridge either. :lol:

Nota bene - don't rely upon the coolant's colour as a mechanism by which to determine its chemical composition. There are no ratified standards within the automotive industry.

Nota bene - don't rely upon the coolant's colour as a mechanism by which to determine its chemical composition. There are no ratified standards within the automotive industry.

I am guilty of this :embarrest: I have the coolant changed every year as part of the service whether it needs it or not. Must admit to thinking everything is ok throughout the course of the year as long as the coolant is still bright pink in colour when I check it.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back