Changing Engines In My 206??!!

J

Jesse BOY

i have a 1.4 8v engine in my 206 and i am thinking about changing the engine to something bigger, any tips on this ??

Hi there Jesse Boy welcome to TorqueCars. It's nice to meet yet another engine swapper8). I think a 1.6 transplant would be easier to do than a 2.0 but both should be do-able.

Obvious things first.

Check with your insurance company and see what they require.
Do your research first - get all of the parts you need from the donor car.
Transplants from similar year models are generally easier to do than fitting a brand new engine to an older model 206.
Look to upgrade the brakes and front suspension as well.

check with suppliers, internets a great thing,and see what parts such as brakes suspension are the same with the engines you may find that the 1.6 may have the same suspension as the 1.4 etc. this will at least save you money.

1.4 and the 1.6 are pritty much indentical

both use the TU block and are used in loads of other cars as well as the 206

you could fit the 1.6 8v

but the 1.6 16v out of a 106 gti or saxo vtr should fit as well as the block is the same jsut more valves

don't think pug made the 206 with a 1.6 16v so that should be a good conversion plus theres endless scope for modding ethier of the engines

engine mounts should be the same

and your original gearbox will fit!

Last edited:
The 1.6 XS may also be something to look into or if you're feeling really adventurous, you could do a complete swap and go mental with the 206 GTi or 206 GTi 180 plant.

Obvious drawbacks will always be insurance, but if you haven't had any accidents/ points/ endorsements, it might not be as bad as what you'd expect.

The GTi engine conversion will require a lot of work but you will get a lot of power back. Yes, the suspension will definitely need doing, as will the box, mounts and there may also be issues with wiring?

It is going to be on your shoulders what you decide, but if it was me, I would simply buy a GTi/ 180 rather than faff.

Thanks for the infor Danny and welcome to TorqueCars - nice to have you along. You seem to know your Peugeots.

I do indeed, I used to work at the Design and Development plant hence the insider knowledge.
Thanks good to be here. People who actually know what they are talking about is hard to find on the net especially with all these 'moddified car' sites with boys who think air filters give you 12bhp extra. Ummm no.

That's what we are! We do not subscribe to the "if it makes more noise it must be faster" philosophy.

We do our bit to raise the profile of car modding and represent those who enjoy driving their cars.

Yes it is good to see engineering practices and knowledge being shared. After all, it is a benefit to everyone as it means that sometimes cars can be moddified in such a way that manufacturers take notice and change the way they approach new cars/ car development.

I would like to ask what profession you're in? You do seem quite knowledgable which is obviously an advantage when setting up this kind of site.

Also, what have you done to your own vehicle?

Heres the shocker - I'm a web designer and programmer. Previously I worked as an insurance broker for about 14 years.

Cars are a massive obsession and hobby of mine. My last car a Rover 220 was modded to the max. The engine was rebuilt, head flowed/ported etc... Loved the car but it was so unreliable - thats why I started TorqueCars.

I felt there was nothing out there that gave common sense advice to tuning. If you read the box of a performance part you think you will get 20bhp more power! This is nearly always an upto figure quoted. There are also so many scams out there.

For details on my plans for my current car (an A3 1.8T Sport) see my profile http://www.torquecars.com/forums/members/waynne - I'll keep this updated with progress.

Oh right??? Woah, wouldn't have put you as a designer. Hmmm interesting. I do have one question though, why in the name of Jesus's mum does your Audi look like a Megane fat arse, sorry, I mean Megane?:amazed:

LOL. Oh rite, sorry, I was going to say, how did you do that... make an Audi look like a fat arse, sorry, Megane. Good, I mean, I'm all in favour of French cars but hey, nothing compares to a Herman the German enginerring.:)

:lol: The ultimate makover - an A3 into a Megane. Perhaps there is a market for this "stealth conversion"

Must sort out my profile pictures, perhaps we should have personal galleries we can upload too! I'll see what can be done ;)

"Didn't put me down as a designer" - I could take that as an insult ;) But I wont! :)