Chance of being caught

dpsubaru

The Torque Meister
Car
Subaru WRX Turbo 04
Have just finished a two week trip to the UK. 4 hours before my flight, in a rush back to the house, think i was pinged by a van camera possibly exceeding the speed limit - not sure as i tapped the brakes when i saw the van parked up in the layby but woulod have been around 80-85mph on a lightly raining dual carriageway. As this was only on Sunday havent received anything yet but not carrying high hopes of having an empty post bag.
anyone know how long it takes to get a ticket (think this was asked some time ago but couldnt find the thread - HDi your bound to know) and if am likely to get done at this speed? thanks.

14 days I believe is the time you have to recieve a fixed penalty notice.

How accurate is your speedo? Upto about 77mph you were probably only going at 70. If so then you'll probably be ok. Unless you happened to do this in Wales!

waynne - are you the type of man who offers a man drowing in the river a twig to grab hold of that breaks at the last second? :)

no idea how accurate the speedo is reading but will need to be hoping that everyone else's speedo on the same road was also under reading.

Sorrry I didn't mean to sound so pessimistic. I was badly trying to make a point - let me try again! Most police forces prosecute at around 10% over + 3mph which would be around 80mph, real speed. Most speedos will still be reading around 85 at this level (a lot depends on the guidelines they were issued with and the mood of the one reading the speeds). I think you should be ok.

I have been past a van camera doing 83 (ish) in my Mazda about 2 years ago, and that was the most accurate speedo I have ever had. It was always bang on what it said (I know this from passing the speed monitors that tell you your speed) and I did not get a ticket. NIP has to come through with in 14 days or you can say you cant remember the event, and therefore can not be prosecuted.

got done 3 wks ago, 36mph in a 30 mph zone, 6mph over not 16, and as you say wayne 10% +3 (thought it was 2 ) .fixed penalty arrived last week 60 quid, fkrs,so just goes to show maybe I was 1 or 2 mph over and still get clobberd,

14 days I believe is the time you have to recieve a fixed penalty notice.

How accurate is your speedo? Upto about 77mph you were probably only going at 70. If so then you'll probably be ok. Unless you happened to do this in Wales!

what would have happend in wales then ? am i missing somthing here ? lol :blink:
i know from very expansive experience tha the traffic coppers in gwent are the worst ive come across, apologies to any members who are in the gwent, but in general ur not nice ppl.

I have been past a van camera doing 83 (ish) in my Mazda about 2 years ago, and that was the most accurate speedo I have ever had. It was always bang on what it said (I know this from passing the speed monitors that tell you your speed) and I did not get a ticket. NIP has to come through with in 14 days or you can say you cant remember the event, and therefore can not be prosecuted.

Sorry,but NIP can take up to 6mths.My son has experience of this.:sad2:

this sounds an inordinate amount of time to receive a fine for speeding considering that it will all be computerised. If i get a fine through now i wont pay and will get some lawyers i know to take a look at it instead. Does anyone know off hand if the current regulations are available on the internet to view in regarsd to this?

It can yes, but as long as your car details are correct and your V5 is in your name and you have the correct address on your licence, then they have no excuse to take longer than 14 days. He could have contested it. The Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 can be interprated in different ways, and as long as you have a good loyer, you can avoid a ticket if it is over 14 days.:D

what would have happend in wales then ? am i missing somthing here ? lol :blink:
i know from very expansive experience tha the traffic coppers in gwent are the worst ive come across, apologies to any members who are in the gwent, but in general ur not nice ppl.

In Wales there is generally accepted zero tolerance policy to speeding, with reports of drivers prosecuted for 1 - 3 mph over the limit, there is no way this speed would have escaped the Welsh police GATSO's.

In Wales there is generally accepted zero tolerance policy to speeding, with reports of drivers prosecuted for 1 - 3 mph over the limit, there is no way this speed would have escaped the Welsh police GATSO's.

North Wales Police are certainly very tight on this.