Centrifugal Supercharger Oiling

Racer75

Tuner
Car
BMW 323i (e36)
Is there any major drawbacks to using engine oil to lubricate a Centrifugal Supercharger? I have managed to acquire a good unit but it doesn’t come with an Oil reservoir.

I was thinking about tapping an oil feed and using a filter to work as a protective measure

Would help if you can give details of make and model.

There should be a restrictor to reduce the flow to the bearings similar to a turbo to prevent overloading the seals with too much oil.

Thanks mate, as I took a bit of a punt on this as cheap as it was, the guy didn’t seem to know what it was.

“TT30037” is written on the housing of the unit but nothing else. Googling that code yields no results, sadly.

I have measured a few things on it and these number are as follows;

Impeller Inducer: 48mm
Impeller Exducer: 72mm
Impeller Trim: approx 41
Housing Inlet: 50mm/2”
Housing Outlet: 50mm/2”
Pulley: 75mm (adaptable)

maybe someone has seen one like this before, I have added photos below

Cheers

Attachments

• 5473E9A8-52F0-4EE5-B540-16B1E9BB574B.jpeg
    5473E9A8-52F0-4EE5-B540-16B1E9BB574B.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 8AFBA3CA-6CE4-447F-AC5A-21AF83464FB2.jpeg
    8AFBA3CA-6CE4-447F-AC5A-21AF83464FB2.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 2
I spun the charger by hand today and it equates to 14 impeller turns per 1 pulley turn. The gent I bought it from also claimed that the boost capability of the unit was 1.5bar.

Cheers.

It is a Turbo Technics Rotrex supercharger a TT 30015 by the looks of it, I hope that helps. They are pretty good little units. I wouldn't be surprised if those internal parts are not original. They are often hybridised.

It is a Turbo Technics Rotrex supercharger a TT 30015 by the looks of it, I hope that helps. They are pretty good little units. I wouldn't be surprised if those internal parts are not original. They are often hybridised.
Luckily I found a similar ad from a few years ago from Turbo Technics, same unit was apparently rated for around 2.5L. Bit of luck that!

Seller did say that it had been refurbished but when and what was put it is anyone’s guess. Ad confirmed as well that it’s fine to use engine oil to lubricate the charger.

Still waiting on a few parts turning up to complete it and am concentrating currently on repainting the 4 quarter panels as well as a new rear bumper and skirts.

V4 update coming soon!