Celica engine tuning

squealin

Car
toyota celica gt4
Hi ive got a celica gt4 st180 and ive done nothing to the engine but i really want to start upgrading it and tuning it.. i have no idea where to start! anyone have any ideas?

Hi there squealin and welcome to TorqueCars, good to have you along. How much are you looking to spend?

Ideally you should uprate the turbo and get the mapping altered (Apex Power FXii comes recommended as Toyota ECU's are not easily remapped - AFAIK)

A sports exhaust, sport cat and induction kit with a cold air feed should free the engine up a bit more.

A Celica GT4 eh? Good lad. Welcome to the forum. What's your budget? Being a turbo car you have several options depending on the amound you want to spend and even the basic mods should yield a decent gain.

Firstly start with a damn good service. Unless it's had them recently, new plugs, leads, oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter. To add to what Waynne said; if you don't mind switching it out for the MOT, ram the sports cat and just go straight for a decat, it is cheaper and generally more free flowing.

Last edited:
Hi ive got a celica gt4 st180 and ive done nothing to the engine but i really want to start upgrading it and tuning it.. i have no idea where to start! anyone have any ideas?

Hi,

I take it that will be an ST185?

Do you know if its an import or UK, CS, RC?

As said previously, assuming the engine is well maintained:

1st Mongoose cat back Exhaust (2.5" to stop boost creep later)
2nd Apexi High flow air filter
3rd HKS Fuel Cut Defender
4th Quality Cooler by 1 Grade Spark Plugs
5th Chris GTS MBC Boost controller Upgrade 1.1bar (or EBC if you're feeling flush))
6th Quality 3" Decat (or sport cat)

Should be looking at about 240-260hp by now

Then you should be looking at
Fuel Pump (bad to fit)
Water/Methanol Injection or FMIC
Boost upto 1.2bar

Should see 280hp by now.

Then you need Apexi Power FC (& Commander), remap to see +300hp :D

Internals can stand 300hp easily if done right, you got to remember this is an ST185, not an ST205 which will yeild approx another 20-30hp on all the above figures.

Just from past experience...

Last edited:
thanks for the advice.. i will do my reserch and find out wheres cheapest for all this stuff. yeh its a st185 and its a jap import, its only had a HKS exaust from the owner before but were thinking of modding it up a bit :D

if u have the JDM versn. means uv got the best of celicaz.... well, during that time..
the best ever turbo would be the st-205