Catback Exhaust + Chip = One happy boy

SaabSon

Wrench Pro
Car
04 Saab 9-3 2.0t
Just ordered a catback exhaust from Genuinesaab and sent my ECU to get remapped. Has anyone done the catback exhaust themselves? It shouldn't be difficult (I think). I have a lift so I'm going to try and get it done this weekend. Any advice?

Nice couple of mods there mate but I wouldn't have gone cat back on a turbo. Should have gone:-

- 200sx tubular manifold (they do fit, just need a different flange)
- 3" down pipe
- 2.75" decat pipe
- 2.75 straight through exhaust system.
- Sealed air filter
- then the remap to suit.

Usually sees a good turn around of power with those mods on a turbo, only thing that may differ is the bore size of the exhaust system (I was going on a C20LET red top turbo engine which is similar)

I sent the ECU overnight, it got there this morning, and they just finished remapping it. I just got off the phone with them and they said it should get back home by Tuesday.

BAD63R, i'm a bit bummed to hear that there was a better way!!! I guess just have to work with what I have. Do you have any other suggestions? I plan to put a down pipe on soon...

The best thing to do is to get a 3" downpipe first. The 2.5 BSR catback is better than stock but not entirely needed until higher power levels (stock being 2.25" I believe) A 3" catback would serve better or like Bad63r said. The saabsport exhaust deletes the middle muffler and is 3" straightpipe to one rear muffler. Saab claims it provides 7hp.... doubt that.

The best thing to do is to get a 3" downpipe first. The 2.5 BSR catback is better than stock but not entirely needed until higher power levels (stock being 2.25" I believe) A 3" catback would serve better or like Bad63r said. The saabsport exhaust deletes the middle muffler and is 3" straightpipe to one rear muffler. Saab claims it provides 7hp.... doubt that.

I guess I did it a bit backwards. I did the catback b4 the downpipe. I was just following the "stages" on genuinesaab which suggested software for a stage 1, upgraded software and a catback for stage 2, and then some other goodies along with a downpipe for a stage 3.

Yeah don't worry about it really, i believe they stage it like that due to price, since a downpipe is 500+ USD. Nick Taliaferro is a great guy though and amazing tuner so anything he recommends seems pretty ideal to me. He has helped me with a number of issues.

Yeah don't worry about it really, i believe they stage it like that due to price, since a downpipe is 500+ USD. Nick Taliaferro is a great guy though and amazing tuner so anything he recommends seems pretty ideal to me. He has helped me with a number of issues.

That's good to hear. I installed my chip already and the car feels great! Pulls in all the gears, third being my favorite. Can't wait for the catback to come in...

Hope it all goes well for you! have been looking at the genuine saab website and they do some marvellous parts and equipment, Putting in an order from them later on this week myself. :blink1:

Update: The instillation of the catback was effortless. I cut the old pipe right after the flex and pieced the new system into place. It took ten mins (with a lift) to finish the entire process. I was expecting the end product to produce more sound however, so I decided that I'm going to replace the muffler with a straight pipe. I am going to call Nick Taliaferro (genuinesaab) tomorrow and see what he says. What do you guys suggest or think...?

Well done with your efforts so far! If you remove the muffler from the middle and replace it with a straight piece of pipe, the exit noise will definately be louder and produce more of a rumble on idle. The reasonance however coming back into the car will test your hearing, your girlfriends patience, and the performance of your car hi-fi while you try to drown out the constant droneing noise! It can also have a negative effect by actually reducing your horse power output as I discovered on a Rolling Road test.

I speak from much experience here, as I have tried 4 different performance exhaust systems within a 5 year period and experimented with 6 different middle box and straight pipe combinations!
I eventually ended up with a 3" pipe from the turbo back to a 2 & 3/4" reducer to a middle box chosen from the PowerFlow range of boxes/mufflers and then back to a 3" pipe with smooth welded seams out to the twin 4" round tail pipes.

This gives me a nice rumble on tickover and a howler of a noise when I floor the throttle but not at the expense of a sonic boom inside the car cabin. Hope this little bit of information helps you to decide on what way you would like to go with the exhaust! Best of Luck! ;)

If you want a loud rumble the Saab Sport exhaust is the best bet for that, which actually uses a straight pipe and has only 1 rear muffler. It is also through saab and wont void any warranties. As for what T9 said, it will be noticeably louder in the cabin but in my experience driving and being in saabs with a saab sport, it is completely bearable and music to my ears haha. Girlfriends eh probably not so much.

As far as performance, I feel like a straight pipe should result in more HP since it will be free flowing with only 1 muffler. However I have not tested this and T9 has so, I take his word on it. If you want loud and performance, genuine came out with a new 3" catback which should be louder, and Abbot racing makes a complete exhaust which I hear is amazing... and costs a fortune.

The Abbott system does make an awesome sound, I should know, I had one! Look on there gallery under "Dr from Bedford" and you will see my car as it was then! it keeps evolving! and yes it was very expensive but made extremely well by two of their marvellous Tech's, Neil and Pete! who have done loads of work on the Beast for me to date, and I have never ever been dissappointed by them.

It was custom made for me at their HQ in Wix, Manningtree, Essex.

Problems were; it was losing me a few horse power compared to a Saab standard system which was proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt by having the car tested twice on the same day, on a rolling road renowned for tuning some absolutely monster cars!

Also with the straight through pipe, it was getting increasingly difficult to get it passed through a British MOT testing station " A mandatory test for car worthiness that has to be done once a year"
It was proving more and more difficult to try too find someone who thought the noise level was acceptable for that particular model of car, God! I really miss that noise!

So I had to bit the bullet as it were! and had another stainless system installed which I am very happy with. :D

Well here overseas we do not have a MOT, we just have inspection which, if you know a mechanic then all your car needs to do is pass the engine codes and computer, but noise level / rust other things can be ignored. Ask me how I know.

In regards to the power loss, for some reason, Saab's stock exhaust systems on the newer 9-3's (2003-pres) are remarkable for providing great HP. It is hard to find a system on these newer cars that can rival the stock system in terms of HP, as Saab has done its research. Aftermarket exhausts can come close maybe some custom systems can surpass the stock, but the sound improvement is the main purpose of aftermarket. I truely believed the Abbot system provided more HP than stock but have been proven wrong haha. I know Abbot systems on an OG9-3 or NG900 will provide nice gains.

I know, Saab boffins are great at getting that extra power out of the exhaust system, I just wish they would look at a combination that would produce a sweeter exhaust note for people if that's what they want?
Not that difficult surely? Unfortunately, Sweden are getting to be a little like Switzerland these days,in that they are starting to think that, no noise is the way to go! :(

But still I live in hope, :)

T9 I have to say that will all due respect to BSR and their catback, I was a bit disappointed with how quiet the system was. I decided to run a straight pipe.

Hi SaabSon, it has been my experience that because of strict USA emissions, the exhaust systems made for export to some particular countries have been, shall we say! not as they should be? I do hope that you are now happy with the sound from your system despite having to make that little modification? :)

Anddddd two years later. I'm back. The car has treated me well and I'm at 130k miles. I apologize T9 man for not getting back to you on how I liked the sound of the car...The straight pipe ended up working out just fine. I enjoy the sound.

I'm going to start a new thread about a recent problem I encountered with my turbo. Just wanted to get some "closure" on the thread and hence this post.

Hope all is well in the forum. Talk you all soon...

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back