catalytic converter /turbo

Yoda

Car
Nissan juke
wanted to know if i should have the catalytic converter, removed if im going to up the psi on my turbo say from 12 to 18 psi, and if i dont how much does the catalytic converter, i upgraded all the other pipe but the catalytic converter, is a real pain to remove have to remove the turbo to get it out,

Firstly is the cat required for a road legal car where you live and what is the penalty if any for removing it ??

Why not fit a sports/hi flow cat in place of the stock item??

If you remove the cat will it activate a fault code ?

You should be ok to up the boost with the cat in place.

In some cases the cat is not required if the car can can meet local emissions test standards without it. However, the chances are that it won't and some local laws prohibit modifications to a greater or lesser degree anyway.

Increasing the maximum available turbo 'boost' pressure shouldn't cause a problem as this increased air (and thus oxygen) intake will be met by increased fuelling anyway. This is the case for a gasoline engine. Lean running is generally bad (for cats, which generally require the 14:1 air:fuel stoitometic ratio to) be met in order than the cat(s) work properly. The ECU will always try to achieve the correct fuel:air ratio, whether the cat is present or removed.

Diesel engines don't have throttles so there is much more room for 'variation' in terms of remapping the ECU.

A sports cat should be totally legal, it's only an aftermarket part after all! If it does the job required of it and if the car passes local testing then I cannot foresee an issue.

There are no penalties for removing it here in the UK, apart from failing the annual test. Which means you have to re fit it to pass the emissions test.

Many insurers will deem it a modification and thus want to charge you more for your insurance. But they'd try and charge you more (if they had their way) for replacing a factory fitted Bosch sidelight lamp (bulb) with a bulb from another manufacturer.

Last edited:
Lets say its not a must , but it would help the car breath better which can add a few more horses , weight your options and decide ... if it was me id get that straight pipe that replaces the Cat and compare how the car behaves with and without the Cat

The cat is a restriction to exhaust flow so I expect that HDi is correct.
A hi flo cat has fewer cells and less restriction so it should free up a few more horses as well.