Cat is out of the bag......

So....

I've bought a 1987 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI....

There is loads I can say about but I don't have any picture and it would be a waste...

Watch this space tomorrow as I will be taking loads of pictures of it....

See you in a bit...

Mate I'll always have a diesel, I just love the arguements.....
The fact of the matter is that when I get around to tuning up the 205 TD it will be much quicker than it's power figure would suggest.... in other words I would have Saxo VTS (yes VT'S' not R) and Zetec S baiting performance for free basically the reason they stopped making diesels like that was because manufactures quickly realised that they are quicker than there petrol models and that was a big social no no. A few example of such are and in order....
1) Vauxhall Nova 1.5 TD (proven faster than a Nova GTE with an unofficial top speed of 125 mph)
2) Peugeot 205 Dturbo 1.8 TD (detuned so it wouldn't embarrass a GTI 1.6)
3) VW Golf Mk2 GTD 1.6 TDI (much faster than the GTI they stopped production after 1 year)
4) Peugeot 306 Dturbo 1.9 TD (detuned so it wouldn't embarrass the XSi)

All of there cars had to be detuned from the factory due to the fact they were not only much faster than the equivilant petrol, they are beating the more sporting versions.

But you can't argue with the heritage.... the 205 GTI 1.9 is a working class hero, a legend among mere mortals tobe upheld as one of the best drivers cars ever made regardsless of what it is.....

But this one I have is rather special......

You'll see....

Here it is and would you look at it.....
DSC00847.jpg

DSC00848.jpg

DSC00849.jpg

DSC00850.jpg

DSC00852.jpg

The outside is in good condtion....

So what else does it have?
It has central locking and an alarm, electric windows and a sunroof. Thats about it...
No power steering but I can tell you though it really doesn't need it... on the move it feels just the same as the green one (the steering weight) only when parking, it becomes a bit of an effort.....

Bad points now....
There is loads to do to bring it up to it's former glory, but it has just passed it's MOT with no advisorises and I know that the garage it was taken to is very strict and thorough when checking them over, and the emissions are exceptionally low...
DSC00851.jpg

Bit of body rust, it's purely cosmetic and there is no cancerous growth underneath, it's just surface rust which will get attended to at some point.
Alloys:
DSC00873.jpg

DSC00874.jpg

DSC00875.jpg

DSC00876.jpg

They are in need of a refurb, but they aren't bent or buckled and they haven't got any chunks missing, you may also notice that tyres it has, they are original equipment :)

There is also plenty of other stuff that need adressing but nothing major and definately within the realms of possiblity for a DIY mechanic such as myself but the paint and wheels I'm going to get done proffesionally.
Loads of books and history:
DSC00869.jpg

DSC00870.jpg

Bought brand new in 1987 from K&G motors in Cannock, by the last owner!! So this has also had 1 previous owner from me, and to boot I personally know the man as he my best friends uncle, so I know it's all good...

So..... would anyone like to hazzard a guess at how many miles this has done?

Wow very impressive find, it is in superb condition, no wonder you are so pleased with it.

Miles hmmm..... 47,670?

Wow, nice find and one of those cars we all itch to find in such condition. Hate to think what you paid, mileage.........wild guess 32k

Indeed I am....

The reason I got it for soo cheap is that my mates uncles wanted to get rid asap, it wasn't any "special" price I paid what he wanted for it and I didn't knock him down because that would have been really cheeky....

They did want more for it inicially but they dropped the price to get rid quickly, also it's not perfect... it is roads worthy so no dodgy rust patches or cream cracked engines or anything like that, it just needs a bit of TLC and tidying up. I don't intend to modify this one, at most I might splash out on a custom stainless exhaust made to the standard spec, just with a better tail pipe, something I always thought it lacked.

But this going to be restored and kept for my own personal use in the summer, I don't intend on selling it.

I'm glad you all like it anyways and as usual I will be posting the progress on here, when I do eventually get around to doing it.

that is a beuty mate brings back memories.mine was grey tho.that is a minter so clean.your getting a collection going on now,whats next on your hit list.you dont know which one to work on now.which one gets your attention its like having three wives which one do you service pun intended lol.well done mate you got a bargain.its one of those that you just could not turn down.

You had to ask didn't you....

Well..... at the moment it would have to be...... my 205 TD, and that only because I can actually drive it at the moment and also because it gets from work and back,

You've really done it now....

Then it would be a toss up between the GTI and my 306....
I really don't know, I mean the GTI is an icon and a classic and it would be foolish to let this example go, but my 306 has been my old faithful for so long and I have had many memories in that car that I couldn't let that go either.....

Seriously, I couldn't choose....

ha ha.gti is a beuty tho.mileage is nothin its only just run in with that mileage.mine was totally standard but it went like stink.bet it will sound nice with a nice sounding ss xhaust.should last you years have you got a garage to keep her nice and dry.theres not that many of them left on the road most of them been written off or scrapped.

That is a steal! No wonder you kept a secret! I cannot believe the facts that the diesel counterparts were much, much faster then the petrol. I cant wait to show my "petrol head" mate... He thinks all diesels are slow a$$ rubbish!

:)

If he said, I just don't like diesels then thats an opinion and a valid one, if he doesn't like them then that's his choice, calling them rubbish is just a sign that he knows nothing about cars.

So nice, you got one hell of a deal. Must be enjoying life beyond 5k RPM? :amuse:

As for the below, you're not fooling me :cheesy: The old NA petrol vs turbo diesel again :lol::lol::lol: Show me a mildly tuned 2ltr TD that is quicker than my 2ltr turbo petrol and I will be at peace :p

Mate I'll always have a diesel, I just love the arguements.....
The fact of the matter is that when I get around to tuning up the 205 TD it will be much quicker than it's power figure would suggest.... in other words I would have Saxo VTS (yes VT'S' not R) and Zetec S baiting performance for free basically the reason they stopped making diesels like that was because manufactures quickly realised that they are quicker than there petrol models and that was a big social no no. A few example of such are and in order....
1) Vauxhall Nova 1.5 TD (proven faster than a Nova GTE with an unofficial top speed of 125 mph)
2) Peugeot 205 Dturbo 1.8 TD (detuned so it wouldn't embarrass a GTI 1.6)
3) VW Golf Mk2 GTD 1.6 TDI (much faster than the GTI they stopped production after 1 year)
4) Peugeot 306 Dturbo 1.9 TD (detuned so it wouldn't embarrass the XSi)

All of there cars had to be detuned from the factory due to the fact they were not only much faster than the equivilant petrol, they are beating the more sporting versions.

But you can't argue with the heritage.... the 205 GTI 1.9 is a working class hero, a legend among mere mortals tobe upheld as one of the best drivers cars ever made regardsless of what it is.....

But this one I have is rather special......

You'll see....

Yeah well that's the old days mate when diesels didn't have the electronics and what not, to be fair if I were in the market for a new car I would buy a petrol simply because modern diesels are too problematic and over complicated,

A mildly tuned 2l td would give a stand rs a run but beat it... I'm not sure you got yours back on the road yet?

Also the gti is awesome, very responsive throttle (yes I have driven petrols before) very similar to my mates old mk1 golf cab 1.8 8v carb not mega fast but so egar to please in its responses like the 205 gti just thy mines faster :) it's off the road at the moment I haven't taken it for a drive yet.

I still love the midrange shove of the diesel though they'll never make diesels faster than petrols out the factory simply cause it's a social no no mind you have you seen a 535d demolish an m3 e46? I have and yes it was standard but a remapped 535d destroys them due to the fact they have some top end torque rather than a single turbos crap torque curve

A mildly tuned 2l td would give a stand rs a run but beat it... I'm not sure you got yours back on the road yet?

I still love the midrange shove of the diesel though they'll never make diesels faster than petrols out the factory simply cause it's a social no no mind you have you seen a 535d demolish an m3 e46? I have and yes it was standard but a remapped 535d destroys them due to the fact they have some top end torque rather than a single turbos crap torque curve

OTR? It's never really been off the road for more than a couple of days due to only getting short stints at working on it. It's driveable nearly all the time. ATM gemoetry does need doing after fitting coilovers but it's still driveable.

Comparing apples to oranges again though, mildly tuned 2ltr TD vs STANDARD FRS? :( Twin turbo deez vs. N/A petty? You are right, a re-mapped 535d outpaces an E46 M3 in a straight line. Everywhere else it simply won't keep up. Even then you're talking 35mpg or so, and considering diesel itself and everyting about owning a complex diesel is more expensive, it's hard to see why anybody with sense would actually buy one. Oh yeah, because they can't afford an M5 :lol:

FWIW, have you seen the quarter mile times of some of the mildly and even quite highly modified diesel "performance hatches? Stuff like Leon FR's, Fabia VRS' etc etc....it all makes for grim reading :amuse:

Yeah well.....
They don't know how to tune them or gear them and I do :)
I don't like VAG's offerings anyway, they are just soooo dull, plus DI diesels are as good at making power as IDI's so why do they use them any more.... Simples emissions and fuel economy are higher, seriously have you ever seen a new diesel rev to 7k rpm? Never... Have you seen an old school diesel rev to 7k rpm? You probably haven't but I have.......
Type in YouTube
Black Smoke Racing and check his videos out.... Now that a diesel you'd want....

Well you're building a 2.1TD, slightly larger capacity than my FRS and will have had quite a bit of work and be considerably lighter. With that in mind what quarter times are you expecting?

Lighter?.... Probably not, standard it's 1155kg and I don't think I'll be losing the interior now (I change my mind alot...) as for the engine itself it's a standard block and head but it should pump out a decent amount of power but loads of torque, quarter times... Well I've no idea never thought about it, I'm more interrested in my mid range times than strip times.... I suppose under 14 seconds would be nice but I've no idea what kind of car would achieve that though so I suppose me saying that is irrelevant.... Let's just say I like building my cars rather than buying them, then I can have them how I want, I just want it to be fun by my standards I'm making it to make me happy that it really...

ha ha ha not the diesel v petrol argument again lol.i do think diesels are too temperamental.at least petrol you just turn the key and away you go.every diesel ive had ive had to fix the engine.troublesome engines.

Cause you aint bought a good one yet... its an arguement that will never be won simply because there's no definitive answer, both side make good argument but there are also plenty of myths surrounding each.

i hafto admit when they are running ok diesels are cracking motors.but for reliability i do think from my own experience that petrol engines are more reliable start better in the winter and u dont get the smoke or the stink.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back