Castrol Edge Diesel

mgflyer

Car
Honda Accord
Hi Oilman can you help
I have a Honda Accord 54plate diesel i have been using Edge Tubo Diesel 0-30, you can now only buy 5-40 but you can buy 0-30 Edge petrol should i use this on the basis that 0-30 is a better spec oil for this car and that i do not have aDPF on my car.
I change the oil every year and intend keeping the car for a long time hence i do not mind spending a bit more on oil hoping this will pay off in the long run.
Would i benifit changing to Mobil brand and finally is it neccessery to flush diesel engines after so many miles.

Thanking you for a possible reply

The Edge 0w30 (non engine specific) oil should be fine. I think Castrol brands some diesel specific oils more for customer's psychological needs rather than on technical merit. I'm not saying they're identical but the similarities outweigh the differences.

If you look at the specs of many diesel specific oils now, you'll find that most, curiously, also carry ratings for petrol engines.

Given that your car does not have a DPF you don't need to be concerned with the low sulfated ash content which is crucial for DPF equipped cars.

Before committing to a purchase, however, wait for a response from one of the chaps at Opieoils. They'll have the definitive answer.

HDI Fun is bang on, not much to add. No need to switch to Mobil as it has nothing more to offer then the Castrol. Dont bother with a flush, with quality modern synthetics all will be kept tip top by the oil.

Cheers

Guy

HI there oilman,

Bought some Fuchs Titan Race Pro S from yourselves lastweek I think,
I'm changing oils from a Castrol Edge Diesel (both oils are 5w-40)
for a few reason 1) cost 2) now I only need to buy 1 bottle of oil instead of 2, and the fact the Fuchs is a better oil (recommended by you for my car), but I have some of the castrol left and I wanted to know if I could use it to top up my fuchs oil if and when I need to? are they compatable?

Cheers

Brett

Hi Brett

Yes, the Pro S is a very good choice and works out better value than some of the big brand oils that don't offer the same level of protection. The Edge is fine to use as a top up.

Cheers

Tim