Cars and salesmen

misenthrop

Torque Junkie
Car
Rover Vitesse
If you have a salesman call at your home and he turns up in a big expensive flashy car does that put you off or does it reassure you?

My accountant drives a brand new M3 and today a Double glazing salesman came round to give us a qutote in a brand new Jag XF!

The odd thing is that I don't mind my accountants M3 but the Jag XF just put me right off before we even started.

Then again if they turned up in a right old banger covered in crap would that give a good impression? I think I would prefer to see a quality car in a clean condition as that would set the tone. Generally sales teams are very competitive and a way of showing their standing or position in the company is measured in material things, car being the first object and the first thing we see in the company car park. In my prevous employment the sales people had better cars than some of the directors, some actually earned more!

I have shot one down before, because I saw him for who he was.

Just before all the ''cash for gold'' advers on the TV, this guy in a flashy looking suit came to the door offering a good price for old gold and what not. A lot of my misses family were interested and broght there stuff around. He came back and offered them pennies, and they were going to accept. Just before the deals went down, I asked him what the scrap price for gold was per gram. He said (and this was about a year ago) about £2 a gram FOR ALL GOLD. No I follow the scrap value on line, and I knew at the time it was about £7.50 a gram so I said to him

''You should be ashamed of your self. You are nothing but a rip off murchant, you think because you come around here in your £40 matalan suit driving your new Skoda you can rip people off. I know the price of gold is £7.50 a gram, and I know you are going around all the areas in this town that people will not know the tru value. So I sugest you piss off and never come back, becasue if you do.......''

Ill let you guys decide what I ended with.

Difficult one this! If he arrives in a cheap car then he and or his product can't be any good! ;)
But if he arrives in a big expensive flash motor then I think, what lies have you told to poor unsuspecting customers in the past to own that? :)

No win situation i'm afraid :lol:

If he arrives in a:-

Banged up Sunny - Crap product
New Ford/Vaxhaul/Pug - Cheep product sold at high price
BMW/Merc - Expencive product (security alarms/blinds!) could be found cheeper on tinterweb
Evo/Impretza - Drugs!

LOL

OMG:embarrest:
This thread took my memory back further than I wanted to go:sad2:In my youth I tried the usual lines to a fortune. Trying to sell Vaccuum cleaners, encyclopeadias, and Insurance.
Though, like most of us; I am not totally honest but I hated the attitudes that others used to try to get a Sale. I am not going to bore everyone with tale after tale of the dishonest or fraudulent acts engaged in But.....Because of those experiences I am aware of most of the tricks and I do NOT like to see expensive cars, suits, briefcases, Rolexes etc.
Nor do I care for those who come to design a kitchen and only propose what they want you to have as opposed to giving you what you ask for.
One trick used to establish affluence is this:
Your home will reflect your lifestyle. Your area, your car or cars in a drive, the equipment in the home. A plasma TV or largescreen HD/3d? and so on . Now, somewhere in conversation; if you have not volunteered it you will be asked what you do for a job, and so will your partner.
On the basis of a sliding scale of employment salaries this has given the Rep an idea as to what he believes you can afford!
A high figure will be quoted and then ...... as if he is doing you a great deal, this will be reduced to a figure more acceptable to you (but still above average profit if you agree).
Be as wise as them If you earn £26K say £22.5 or £23.
From bitter experiences I do not invite Salespeople to our home. I go to their shop:amuse::amuse::amuse: I could tell you many ripoffs we have had but...... only if someone asks me to.

Incidentally, Could the site be closed at Xmas????
I really do spend too much time here [enjoyable as it is.

MERRY XMASfigure
If you have a salesman call at your home and he turns up in a big expensive flashy car does that put you off or does it reassure you?

My accountant drives a brand new M3 and today a Double glazing salesman came round to give us a qutote in a brand new Jag XF!

The odd thing is that I don't mind my accountants M3 but the Jag XF just put me right off before we even started.