Carlton upgrades

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
By wizdom on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Your not alone - most new cars have engine management computers on a closed loop system - exhaust sniffed and if too rich or lean the fuel air mix is adjusted. A rechip would sort this out. I would first of all improve the base engine - cleaning it out - check the power boost spray in our parts shop. Then adding an air filer induction kit and exhaust and perhaps a mild road cam I would then add on a remap computer - otherwise it needs remapping each time you add something new.

By richard ward on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

I have been told by well respected local car
tuner that he cant do anything for me as the
management controls everything under the bonnet,
re chip and map is an option,
any ideas???

As can be seen time as moved on since this article was posted and undoubtedly the number of Carltons have reduced significantly, thereby probably reducing the amount of readers that would be interested in this topic. Nevertheless having owned 2 Carltons and a Senator over the last 28 years (no other cars) I'm leaning toward improving my 2.0L manual Carlton. Its fast approaching K190 miles and still runs very well but now it probably needs a dose of Lucozade or some other kind of energy drink. Even though a refurbished head was installed about 6-8 years ago the cars not what it used to be. I think I notice the drop off in power, a feature which is difficult when driving the same car continuously. The car passed its current MOT without any advisories and the local garage are pretty sharp when it comes to the annual test. I'm not looking toward dropping this or elevating that, what I'm looking to do is improve the cars performance to the point of
revisiting its previous abilities.

Clearly, as always, cost will also be a prominent factor to consider what is eventually undertaken.

Any ideas are welcome and thank you for taking the time to read my short but hopefully interesting story.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back