Caring for your car in lockdown

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Cars never cope all that well with sitting around. Here are some tips to keep them in good order through the lockdown period.

(Depending on where you are the laws may prohibit some of these options.)

1) Keep the battery charged up, top it up once a week with a regular charger, when they go flat they deteriorate more quickly and they don't like being fully charged either. So run a charger for an hour or two - half whatever the charger recommends for a full charge.

2) Drive it and WARM IT UP. Don't do lots of short journeys, roll your essential journeys into one and make sure the engine gets up to temp.

3) Brakes will lock on and rust up if the car is not moved, so if you are not using your car, take off the handbrake and use blocks to prevent it from moving.

4) Keep it clean, there seems little point letting the grime and dirt and bird lime eat into the paintwork, but in some areas this is not viewed as an essential for going outside.

5) Top up the oil and keep the fuel tank topped up. The less air there is in the tank the less chance you have of the fuel reacting and gumming up.

6) Keep air in the tyres and carry out fluid levels and regular checks even when the car is not in regular use.

7) Tell your insurance company your annual mileage is reduced, you may get a refund or lower premium, but be realistic in your expectations.

Any tips i've missed or any points you disgree with?

Good advise Obi |B

I take the CTR out once a week and away from normally busy areas and my reason if pulled up by Mr Plod is that I have just fitted new brake pads and have to bed them in properly but so far so good.

Need to train my left foot to better modulate the brake as well so I guess it's a bit like others that run or cycle I am in training for when motorsport begins again :)