Carbon Question

berry1

Wrench Pro
Car
Peugeot 306 1.3
So! i want to cover my 306's bonnet and roof with Carbon Fibre Wrap mainly because of the rust and paint issues. Sanded it all down and removed the rust now just need to order the carbon.

I have a few questions that im hoping someone can help with :bigsmile:.

1. Is it as easy as it looks applying the carbon? just with a hair dryer
2. Is anything else needed like epoxy?
3. Anything else i should know?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Don't think you need any additional glue, if it were me I'd treat the areas you've sanded with some rust killer just to be sure. It might also be worth experimenting on some smaller pieces first before you commit to doing the big job. A thin needle might be useful for removing air bubbles too.:D

Make sure the rusty areas are not lower than the rest of the painted area otherwise they may well show up.

So! i want to cover my 306's bonnet and roof with Carbon Fibre Wrap mainly because of the rust and paint issues. Sanded it all down and removed the rust now just need to order the carbon.

If you've sanded it down and removed the rust, then where are the issues leading to wanting to wrap it in vinyl?

Covering such a big area is fake carbon will only look poo imho.

Thanks for all the reply's, really helpful :).

Will definitely use some soapy water and a thin needle to remove any air bubbles that dont want to come out ;).

The bonnet is nice and smooth all over the roof needs abit more of a sand which i'll do tomorrow if its not raining :blink1:.

Prince- The issues is that it had Nitro-Mors thrown on the bonnet and top of the car, the sides are untouched accept for some key scratches. Im sure you can imagine the mess Nitro-Mors makes to the paint work, mostly gone now with the sanding. I dont fancy spraying it with spray cans the finish would be terrible especially with my spraying :lol: so im thinking carbon wrap would be the way to go. Its got to look better than one of my half done sprays :p.

Thanks again!

All advice and suggestions are appreciated, i will give it a go with the bonnet but not going to spend alot on giving it a go if you get me. So if i mess up its only cost 20 or so pound :bigsmile:.

If im successful with the first carbon wrap then i will order more and move on to the more complex parts ;).

Prince- The issues is that it had Nitro-Mors thrown on the bonnet and top of the car, the sides are untouched accept for some key scratches. Im sure you can imagine the mess Nitro-Mors makes to the paint work, mostly gone now with the sanding. I dont fancy spraying it with spray cans the finish would be terrible especially with my spraying :lol: so im thinking carbon wrap would be the way to go. Its got to look better than one of my half done sprays :p.

Ah ok. That's a better reason. I would still get it resprayed though. However, if you're intent on wrapping then add a laquer to it after you've finished.

Also, whilst it isn't to my tastes it will be to other members so post plenty of pictures!

Ah ok. That's a better reason. I would still get it resprayed though. However, if you're intent on wrapping then add a laquer to it after you've finished.

Also, whilst it isn't to my tastes it will be to other members so post plenty of pictures!

Unfortunately funds right now dont give the option of getting it pro sprayed. Thanks for the advice i will use a lacquer over the fibre wrap.

Definitely loads of pics on there way carbon should arrive Tuesday :bigsmile:.

Just wondering is the soapy water still a good idea with the rust problems thats been sorted? dont want the rust to form under the carbon after i treated it for the rust? :blink1:.

Last edited:
the soapy water, not much a wet sponge run over, just allows you more movement and something to push the bubbles out such as a card or squeegee working from centre out.

its up to you. im working on the lines that if its properly applied then there shouldnt be any air underneath. no air means no oxidisation so no rust

the soapy water, not much a wet sponge run over, just allows you more movement and something to push the bubbles out such as a card or squeegee working from centre out.

its up to you. im working on the lines that if its properly applied then there shouldnt be any air underneath. no air means no oxidisation so no rust

Cheers pg, very good info there i guess i better get this carbon perfectly right :lol:.

Don't forget the pics ;)

Lol carbon just arrived today got a sample first to just cover the bonnet and see how it goes :blink1:. Going to get some sanding done now and will be applying the carbon tomorrow so pics on there way :toung:.

Thanks for the replys, i decided to have a go at spraying instead of the carbon wasn't to impressed with the stuff when it arrived. Was expecting it to be quite different :lol:.

Managed to get a rough coat of paint on the bonnet needs a good sand as some paint runs and stuff. Been delayed with the rain :(