Carbon fibre wheels - next big thing

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think that carbon fibre wheels will be the next big thing in tuning and styling?

I have read many rumors of carbon fibre rims but still not managed to track down a company that can supply them?

Have you heard of seen of carbon fibre wheels? Do you think they will catch on?

I havent heard nothing about that although I think it could possibly look decent, if applied right of course?
- I Think it would be a Kinda, love it or hate it thing.

so not sure it will catch on dramatically but i think its a good idea anyway.

have heard of them coming but nothing definite
could be worry compared to how differences in cf strength between comanies. put it to alloys fair enough cheap alloy metal will buckle but the CF might shatter

I have read many rumors of carbon fibre rims but still not managed to track down a company that can supply them?

Dymag. Too expensive and too little demand when most people are still putting dirt cheap heavier than standard alloys on their cars (Wolfrace etc).

it might catch on. less upspring wieght so mabye only for track car though. who knows the possiblertys are endless

I'm guessing that someone is sitting on a patent somewhere and not doing anything with it.

By using a thicker weave the CF wheels are stronger and lighter. They resist shear forces as well and in tests have so far out performed alloy wheels.

The test for a new technology like this are usually much tougher than for existing wheels. I believe the DOT approval was acheived but still nothing has come to market.

Just seen a new Ferrari which is fitted with some very tasty 100% carbon fibre wheels. I guess it will take a while for these to take off but I'm sure we are eventually going to be sick of them!

I'm sure Lexus lights and LED running lights were expensive once upon a time. ;)

Lexus light I'm sure were more expensive before they became mass produced cheap rubbish. LED Running Lights are just a tube, even so, they will become a very common feature on all new cars soon.

Dymag. Too expensive and too little demand when most people are still putting dirt cheap heavier than standard alloys on their cars (Wolfrace etc).

Wolfrace! now there's a name from back in my 90's custom car days :) had no idea that this company was still going. Use to have a set of 5 slot alloys from them that I absolutely loved ;)

Lexus light I'm sure were more expensive before they became mass produced cheap rubbish. LED Running Lights are just a tube, even so, they will become a very common feature on all new cars soon.

This is true! just read somewhere that all new cars from the 7th Of Feb 2011 must have DRL'S fitted.

:lol: Prince nearly got banned for suggesting it was a Volvo invention. They did have the daytime lights on but they were not the nice LEDS so I suppose Audi have made it much betterer.

Audi copied it off the lorries.. I'm sick of seeing them and what's with Audis having really really bright headlights pissing annoying when you have to get up at 5am to drive to work and some bell in an Audi comes behind/past you with silly-bright lights.

Yes I'm in a ranting mood today lolz!!!111!!1!!!!!1.

it's a gold/yellow colour because it has Kevlar woven into it as well, which makes it a lot stronger than carbon alone

as demonstrated by my glamorous assistant :lol:
B07 - Brake Protector.jpg

I've not seen any other coloured CF before either other than painted

Last edited:
i dont see why the weave cant be dyed its fabric after all.

definitely seen white CF before

Oh no PG! please don't tell me that there is now an element of doubt!!! :amazed:
Have been busy on photoshop this afternoon planning my next set of carbon fibre bodyworks :lol:

You can, i found a catalogue of colours available!, red, blue, green, orange, loads of them!, just hadn't seen anything like that before

carbon-fibre-cloth-fabric-22-twill-200g-100cm-blue.jpg
carbon-fibre-cloth-fabric-22-twill-200g-100cm-green.jpg
carbon-fibre-cloth-fabric-22-twill-200g-100cm-red.jpg

the finished article will look like this
hjc-helmets-fs-15-colored-carbon-helmets_1.jpg

Last edited: