Car Wrapping?

Ciganjo

Tuner
Car
Honda Civic ES 1.8
I've heard about an alternative to spray painting your car.... I'm not sure how long its been around, so forgive me if I'm out of date. There's this thing called "Car/Vehicle Wrapping", and its used if you don't want to change the original colour of your car but mask it under some vinyl which can be removed at any time. Can anyone educate me a bit more? I wonna know how it compares to respraying your car, pros and cons etc. etc.

Much appreciated

Have a look at RobBentley's thread. He recently had his lovely Passat R36 wrapped.

I can't post the link from my phone so you'll have to do a quick search, sorry! :D

I've heard about an alternative to spray painting your car.... I'm not sure how long its been around, so forgive me if I'm out of date. There's this thing called "Car/Vehicle Wrapping", and its used if you don't want to change the original colour of your car but mask it under some vinyl which can be removed at any time. Can anyone educate me a bit more? I wonna know how it compares to respraying your car, pros and cons etc. etc.

Much appreciated

That stuff is a bitch to get off.. there was 3 alpine show cars that had there stereo equipment stolen from them and was sent to my bodyshop to have the wrap removed... it was 4 weeks of labor..very difficult to get the adhesive off but with some elbow grease and some mineral spirits you will have fun... i don't recomend it unless your using it for advertisement

Car Wrapping has been alot for awhile - well Taxi Wrapping I'll say, Famous for on the London TX2 Taxi's however it is becoming very popular with Cars being Wrapped as cheaper than paying for a Full Respray, however like Daveysr20 said it is a right pain to remove untill you do it indoors, with a heater gun but take your time as Rushing it, and you'll end up ripping the paint off the car aswel :(

Thing is, My current paint job is POOR, it was just a respray in Ford Focus ST orange, it looks fantastic from far away, but close up it has horrendous stone chips and scratches. So if I'm going to vinyl it, it will stay on. Is it cheaper then respraying?

untill you do it indoors, with a heater gun but take your time as Rushing it, and you'll end up ripping the paint off the car aswel :(

Very true.... If you do not want to fork out some cash for a paint job..and dont plan on removing the wrap anytime soon go for it. Also i would check in on the lifespan of the wrap that i am uncertian about.

Is The Focus Orange to begin with and just needing sprayed overtop the same colour?

As You might be just as cheap to put it into the bodyshop and get all the Outer Panels of the car spray painted. A Full ReSpray is alot Dearer due to having to take the engine out the car and all the seats, carpert etc etc.......

The Vinyl's is a fairly cheap price as it just a couple rolls of the same plain colour but having people to fit it Pro is a different story lol ..... a TX2 cost's roughly about £500 to wrap the taxi but cars seem to be costing more, someone on here I think was quoted £750 to fit it? Not 100% Sure.

If I was you, Find out a Price to Vinyl wrap your car including Stickers - Example £1000

Phone Up Chips Away if your wanting to remove the stone chips/scratches, if they are alot they just spray paint the Panels which roughly £80 - £100 per Panel

A Local Bodyshop might spray all panels for about say £800 - £1000 so you might be better off doing this

*Also If your going with the Bodyshop, Ask to see some products first to see how good they go their job*

You have to take constant care of it (even in the winter). Much more care than paint requires. This includes washing it once a week. It may be cheaper but it also doesn't last. A very well cared after one will still only last from around 3 to 5 years. Inside the bonnet and the door shuts are also very difficult to do. The cost can be anywhere between (roughly) £1000-1500.

On the plus side, you don't have to tell the DVLA (where as a full respray you do) as it is only a temporary colour change.

Personally though, I wouldn't do it.