Car wash

I learnt something over the weekend which i would like to share with all who wash their car with a sponge!.A sponge contains silicon which reacts with car paint,this reaction causes the swirl marks that can be seen when the sun shines on the car,best thing to use is a lambs wool mit or sheepskin.:blink1::bigsmile:

OOOh I know.

As its never washed....? :lol:

I use something along the lines of one of these

Attachments

• Car-Washing-Glove-Washing-Mitt-RS-1912-.jpg
    Car-Washing-Glove-Washing-Mitt-RS-1912-.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 5
i shall remember that! i've always used sponges, because like sponges, i'm cheap... wait what? haha. time for a 5 finger discount from work me thinks! :p

i shall remember that! i've always used sponges, because like sponges, i'm cheap... wait what? haha. time for a 5 finger discount from work me thinks! :p

Free car wash service in Ruislip then. I know the patch very well indeed.
Over to you ;) Do you provide a collect and return valet service? :)

Last edited:
Free car wash service in Ruislip then. I know the patch very well indeed.
Over to you ;) Do you provide a collect and return valet service? :)

depends if i fancy having a go in your car or not! :lol:
and it won't be free if i'm driving my BMW to pick your car up... not when it's averaging less than 8mpg!!!!

the sponges cause the swirals because the trap the dirt which you then drag around the car. silicone itself isnt going to swiral the paint as the swirals are very fine scratches.

same thing can happen with wash mitts as well. to stop swirals best advise is to use 2 huge buckets one with clean water and one with shampoo mix. rinse the mitt or sponge well in the clean water after every panel.

and to help prove the point some of the top detailer in the country still use sponges - these are the guys that charge a few grand to wash your car

the sponges cause the swirals because the trap the dirt which you then drag around the car. silicone itself isnt going to swiral the paint as the swirals are very fine scratches.

same thing can happen with wash mitts as well. to stop swirals best advise is to use 2 huge buckets one with clean water and one with shampoo mix. rinse the mitt or sponge well in the clean water after every panel.

and to help prove the point some of the top detailer in the country still use sponges - these are the guys that charge a few grand to wash your car

Agreed my Focus has never been touched with a sponge but I still get the odd swirl marks.

I tell you all what.

Ask PG how to go about giving your car a good wash and manual Wax in one day. I copied his method one sunny Saturday using exactly what he said and doing exactly what he said. And I can honestly say that even a spec of dust was scared to land on my Evo for about a week. She gleamed.

So if your to take any washing advise from anyone on here. Id put it through him first. Because if someone is talking rubbish, he will know. :blink1:

hell no parents super thin jap paint looked great for a few weeks after i done it. shame the paint was so soft that if you looked at it too long it scratched in front of you

sorry chaps read about the sponges in a car mag in a section about detailing ,they also said that jap paint is 0.6 of a micron instead of 1.0 micron thick,to keep the weight down!.Maybe i ought to take less notice of whats in mags!.

sorry forgot to say will take pgarners advice and rinse mits,cheers for advice !! will be giving car a clean tomorrow mrs wont be happy if i do it sunday!

I remember seeing sponges like those BBJ showed were used at Madame Fifi's in Thailand a year ago now! :blink: The follow up to that little episode will have to remain for adults only! :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back