Car tax has changed

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Don't get caught out, when you sell a car now the car tax expires and the new owner has to renew it.

I've heard of loads of people getting caught out by this. Husband and wife swapping ownership of a car assuming the tax would continue, ended up with fines. People who have a 100% clean record of following the rules are falling foul of this new development and getting fined.

It doesn't seem fair so all we can do really is make people aware of this issue.

Yes, the rules changed when the tax disc was done away with. Quite a cheeky thing to do, and not well publicised.

It is indeed a grey area this. Would I be right in assuming that a car sold is still legally taxed until such time the V5 is received and updated on the DVLA database? There must be a grace period when purchasing a car until you can get it taxed? Unless it was sorned or bought from a dealer? Again a grey area.

It is indeed a grey area this. Would I be right in assuming that a car sold is still legally taxed until such time the V5 is received and updated on the DVLA database? There must be a grace period when purchasing a car until you can get it taxed? Unless it was sorned or bought from a dealer? Again a grey area.
That indeed is the crux of the matter, there are too many loopholes and grey areas and this is where people are getting caught out.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back