Car suggestions

Stiggy

Torque Junkie
Car
Audi A3 Quattro
First off hello everyone who has been here since I have last logged in, all the new members and all the old members who remember me, hope life has been treating you all well :) .

Now down to business, I was wondering if people could give me some suggestions on what car's to look at since in the coming month or so I will be buying a new (used) car, I am looking for some sort of turbo'd car which falls into the hot hatch category or close enough, basically something that will put a smile on my face each time I push the accelerator ;) , as for the size of the car I am looking at something around focus or golf hatchback sort of size, I don't mind petrol or diesel as long as it's pretty quick or has the potential to be pretty quick after a remap.

As for the budget that's a little tricky, as long as I get accepted for a bank loan I will be looking for something up to £8k, Obviously cheaper would be better, but that give's me something to work with. On the other hand though if I don't get accepted for the loan I will only have about £1,000 at most, so if people can give me a suggestion for each price point it will be much appreciated.

Stiggy

8k. Bmw 130. Oh turbo you want.. Focus st 2.5 for 6k. 2k on intercooler remap etc to around 270bhp.

1k. More difficult. Fiat coupe turbo if you buy careful. Or even rover 220 turbo.

for 8k you could look at the 2008 Vauxhall astra vxr turbo 250bhp pretty nippy . and for the 1k may look at an 2001 seat cupra 2.0l turbo seen one for £900

Thank's for the suggestion's guys, I like the sound of either a Focus ST and the Astra VXR, I also had a look at the BMW 1 Series and the 120D and the 123D has peeked my interest as well. I also like the idea of the cupra for the under £1K mark too, Keep the suggestion's coming, I also like the idea of a Golf GTI or GTD, S3 or a quick A3 and the Leon's as well.

Stiggy

I'll put my thoughts into the mix about the Golf GTD. I have the the older GT170. Remap to 210ish power and oodles of torque. If you want more then Darkside turbo swap + S3 intercooler and 300+hp available. Can't believe I just recommended diesel but thats the way its going, certainly in my case.

Me too! Diesels are not all bad, especially when they get remapped!

I would recommend the SEAT's as they are great value for money. Get an A3 though and it will depreciate very slowly so will be a better long term buy for you.

Thank's for the suggestion's guy's, I agree with the diesels, they have come a long way and these days a real option for having a quick car with all that torque. Anyone know a good powerful diesel engine that is in the A3?

My Golf GT has the 170hp PD engine. There must be an equivalent S-Line model on the Audis. They changed to the 184hp Common Rail engine around 2009 which are more expensive to remap and not as responsive to tuning so I've heard but you might have to research bit more to confirm. 210+hp easily achievable on these engines although the more common 140hp engine can be remapped close to this figure also but not sure whether they have the same running gear like brakes, suspension etc

Thank's for those link's Andy, I'll have a look at those more when I'm a bit more awake lol, seems like the diesel's are being pushed as a good buy, in all fairness though the diesel's would probably be the best balance between performance and economy?

^^ Just stay out of London then buddy, the Mayor is looking to increase the Congestion Charge for diesel cars ;)

Diesel engines are great for everyday performance driving. Not sure that the long term real world operating costs are necesarily lower than a similarly performing petrol car tho.

The choice is largely down to personal preference now, I like the buzzy free revving nature of a BMW straight six petrol engine, but I also like the midrange shove of a good diesel. Personally I'd avoid the PD (pumpe duse) VW engines - I have one and they are not the silkiest of four cylinder diesels at low speed. That said, they do deliver stonking pedal response and fuel economy is amazing.

lol I have no intention of going to London regularly ;)

But I have a similar preference in engine's to HDi fun, but I think overall I will enjoy the shove of a good diesel and the healthy MPG too.

Anyone know what the boot is like on the BMW 1 Series? is it comparable to the Focus, Golf, A3 boot?

Oh and also how do I tell the difference between the PD and CR engine's at a glace on the VW/Audi/Seat range?

Focus st or megane 225 will handle and get power down much much better than astra vxr. I love diesel but its petrol all the way for me for hot hatch. 8k would get you a decent scooby too if you shop careful.

Thank's for chiming in Yugguy, the tiny boot has put me off the 1 series a bit now, I'll still have a look if I get the chance though, after some looking around online and at those link's that Andy sent me I think it will be either a Leon, Golf or A3, all of them have the same underpinnings pretty much but the question is which one. Mind I have found this Leon FR which is appealing.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...uel-type/diesel/transmission/manual?logcode=p

Well dam, I'v just got back from the bank to ask about a loan and I have been declined, seem's I need to look for a budget hot hatch now, I have re-worked out my finances and I can go up to £1500, any suggestion's guys? either turbo petrol or turbo diesel.

That sucks....

For 1500 get a clio 172 or 182. Not turbo but still quick and MASSIVE fun. Less to go wrong than a turbo. Make sure it has had cambelt, dephaser pulley and water pump done.

Thank's for the quick reply Yugguy. A clio is a bit too small for me, plus I don't really have much love for Renault's, Peugeot's, or Citroen's. Never had much luck with any of them. From a quick look on auto trader I could get a Seat Leon Cupra for around £1200 and a Golf MK4 with the 1.8T engine for about the same money too. I doubt they will still be on sale when I am ready to buy since I won't have the cash until mid Sept but they are idea's.

While the golf and Leon share the same engine the turbo's are different. The golf comes with 150bhp with the ko3 turbo and the the Leon has 180bhp from the ko3s, As with most cars make sure the cambelt, waterpump and tensioner has been changed service history does help but not essential on cars of this age and budget (Just make sure you know enough about cars or take someone with you who does!)
If looking at leons avoid the onvi yellow ones there was a fault with the paint from factory and there isn't one I've seen where some of the lacquer is peeling ;)

Thank's for the the info herb, I'll keep an eye open for those thing's and it's nice to know about the different turbo's that was used, mind didn't VW do a golf with the ko3s turbo (180BHP)? I'm pretty sure I have seen one of them for sale.

Thank's for the the info herb, I'll keep an eye open for those thing's and it's nice to know about the different turbo's that was used, mind didn't VW do a golf with the ko3s turbo (180BHP)? I'm pretty sure I have seen one of them for sale.

Golf's map to around 180-190bhp but they did a golf anniversary special edition which had the ko3s as far as I'm aware this is the only golf with the ko3s as standard;)

I've heard good things about those 1.8 engine's too, part the reason as to why I'm interested in them now, plus according to Celtic Tuning that Andy linked me to the 1.8T 150 will go to a claimed 205BHP from a simple remap :amazed:

Oh Herb is this one of those special anniversary editions you were on about or is this some false advertising?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...r/712639/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

The
I've heard good things about those 1.8 engine's too, part the reason as to why I'm interested in them now, plus according to Celtic Tuning that Andy linked me to the 1.8T 150 will go to a claimed 205BHP from a simple remap :amazed:

Oh Herb is this one of those special anniversary editions you were on about or is this some false advertising?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...r/712639/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

Iirc the anniversary came with bbs alloys and recaro interior so no its a standard golf that's either mapped or some seller with optimistic power claims.
As for celtic tuning getting 205bhp from a 150bhp golf this figure is what you would expect from a 180BHP Leon with a generic map (stage 1) so a very optimistic claim imho!

Interesting, seem's I have a few more thing's to look at before going shopping for a car then, also about these ECU remapping companies, which one's are the most reputable, I know of Celtic Tuning and Superchips but are their any other's that are good and reputable?

Interesting, seem's I have a few more thing's to look at before going shopping for a car then, also about these ECU remapping companies, which one's are the most reputable, I know of Celtic Tuning and Superchips but are their any other's that are good and reputable?

Where about in the country are you?