Car security - how safe is your car?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Who has upgraded their cars security? As most cars now come with a basic alarm and immobiliser the car theft rates are at an all time low. This is still no reason to be complacent, I foresee 2 new forms of car crime and unless you have a proximity detector/alarm you could fall foul of these.

Petrol prices are skyhigh, stealing petrol is likely to become a problem again with thiefs cutting your fuel line and draining the tank dry. In a large car this could yield 80 litres of fuel. Aside from the dangers of fire and explosion to those starting a car with a cut fuel line this would be a major inconvenience.

The metal used inside your catalyst is worth a lot of money. These can be sold for scrap and their precious metals components be smelted out of them.

Aside from this if someone knows a cars alarm system they will be able to work out a way around it, yet another reason to go with a custom security install.

(If you have a secret kill switch for example in your ashtray do not tell the world about it in this thread! The internet is a very public place!)

If we all post up what security we have, then anybody can see! That's not very good security!

Personally, I have trained guards with AK47s standing next to my car whenever I'm not there (with my desert eagle). My car also has security camera's watching over it, and a system that takes a pic of you whenever you open the car. Not to mention that if I catch anybody messing with my car I'll personally stop you from ever being able to touch a car again!

prince the desert eagle is a pussy weapon unless its the mag .44 or .50. all other versions are a waste of time, .22-.38 yes it is available in a varying forms not going to list them all here through.

its not really cars your having to watch for fuel just know its more if youve got oil heaters or diesel tanks ( oil filled radiators for central heating. and farms hauliers firms) you need to be worried .

think tracker is the best way you could go for security as you can remotely shut down the car if its stolen and proxy sensors are starting to be common to notice any movement in the car

Last edited:
The desert eagle was one of the most powerful hand guns ever produced. The .44 was the best out of the ones you mention because the bullets were shot at a higher pressure meaning they were faster, also meaning more impact on the target. Let's be honest, you wouldn't try and steal the car of a guy who you know owns one! :lol:

Anyway, back to cars! If the thief is good enough, he'll get what he wants anyway.

Dunno about my car's security - it's got the usual deadlocks and factory alarm/immobiliser but I'm sure anyone who really wanted it would find a way to get it.

I suppose if you approach me in the street brandishing a knife I'll give you the keys. Which makes a mockery of security systems really.

That said, can we keep this thread as it was intended and leave firearms fantasy out of it please.

Personally I'm not sure if posting how secure your car is online is a good idea. If the wrong people see it then someone on this site could become a victim of car crime. Ok, so how many thieves sit and read through our forum looking for tips...but that's not the point. As waynne says above, the internet is a very public place.

Rather than wanting the specifics I was just interested to know if anyone has upped their security. I know people take out HT leads and spark plugs at night etc but I think generally we all take our cars security for granted.

My neighbour has a proximity alarm on his GTO and the kids in our street love it. We get "step away from the vehicle" "this vehicle is alarmed" every few days. :eek: I have to say that rather than deter the thief he has suceeded in attracting attention. :)

Rather than wanting the specifics I was just interested to know if anyone has upped their security. I know people take out HT leads and spark plugs at night etc but I think generally we all take our cars security for granted.

My neighbour has a proximity alarm on his GTO and the kids in our street love it. We get "step away from the vehicle" "this vehicle is alarmed" every few days. :eek: I have to say that rather than deter the thief he has suceeded in attracting attention. :)

If I lived somewhere where I needed to physically disable the engine every time I went to bed, I'd be spending the money on the car, on a new house somewhere else. :)

are most car thefts now done by taking the keys from the owners house. most owners leave the keys in sight near the door so just need a coat hanger idea to lift the keys.

this means theres no need to disable the immobiliser or alarms.

ive never heard of taking out the ht leads. have seen a guy taking the battery out at nights

My mate has to enter a pin code before he starts his car otherwise it wont start, lol. He has a pug 306 d-turbo. The keypad can be seen plainly through the window and im guessing their not the hardest to crack so a thief looks through the windows, sees the key pad and just doesnt bother lol

Even though my mate went around telling everyone the pin code anyway... haha

e.g.

"I have to type in my pin code, 4753, before I start my car..."

LMAO

A ht lead isn't as heavy as a battery! Car jacking is popular in city areas if you are driving a premium car. I wonder how the anti car jacking immobilisers work. I'd hope they let the thief get out of punching/stabbing range before shutting down the car.

yeah ive got the anti hijack on the doors. doors lock at 10mph and dont open again until the key is removed or the unllock button on the drivers door is pressed.

i think the tracker system is more if its stolen while your not there. they can get in touch with you and shut down the car if it has been stolen while sending out a signal to report where it is

Can I set that up on my A3 - I've not played around with the alarm although I discovered that if I keep unlock pressed all the windows open! Very handy in the hot weather (well 2 days a year at this rate!)

yeah but you would need to take it to audi or get someone with vagcom to set it up for you. ive also disabled the 2 button open routine. now all doors and boot open with 1 press. could never get the boot to open without halve a dozen attempts

yeap best £15 i spend. and its around £50 to for registation.
clear your own fault codes, record data, set up some features like oil sevice at a certain level, throttle body alighnment ( had to do that today after connecting the battery back up i had a rough idle )

still learning it.

I set my alarm off the other day. It sounds like a lorrys reversing beep! Not very scary and not impressive. One air horn coming up!.....

i think im gonna get a clifford alarm when i get the money, not sure what i will have but it will be thatchcam cat 1, so my insurance should go down at least a bit! but i think my car is pretty safe, but who would wont to steal a rover anyway :lol:

I had a clifford in my Rover - you can get all sorts of gadgets like remote engine start and auto window close etc... It worked well for me. You just have to remember not to use the key or you arm the Rover one then its a battle to turn them off and on in the right order!

yea just dont leave it in gear :lol: im deffinately gonna have auto engine start :D " ahhhh ill just warm up the car" (engine roar) i wander over sit in :D

but wont you be able to disengange to rover alarm and just have the clifford?

I dont worry when car is parked at home, ( covered by 3 cctv cameras ( one hidden )recording 24/7), plus usual alarm/immobiliser & visual deterrents & two lots of trackers! ( one with remote shut-down ) :blink: Plus rotor arm in my pocket with keys. ( Keys never left out ).
I'm not paranoid, honest, ;) what you looking at me for?
:lol: :amuse:
( if ' they ' nicked my granny, hope police get to em 1st or 20 odd years of martial arts training would be unleashed :mad: ).
Not forgetting the wife!!! LOL
Chris.. :blink1:

Last edited:
heh thats a good point... you know you can get pretty realistic rubber dog doo.. well just leave one in the driver foot well or seat lol... you wont want to sit in that heh
an no... big nono to the old kebab... would be all white an fluffy hehe.. little bit like my idea after a few months :p

I've just fitted my own remote alarm, anti door, bonnet and boot tamper, ultrasonic and shock sensors, and immobiliser. It has full locking and total closure,which i didn't install, but I have a rather heafty steering wheel lock behind the passenger seat for anyone brave enough to try and nick it while I'm in it. It didn't bring down my insurance premium though.......:confused:
BTW can anybody answer my question in the Ford section???

Last edited:
Its the fuel and cats that I'd be worried about. 2 cats and 120 quids worth of fuel. I dread to think how much new cats would be. It was 185 quid just for a set of HT. Leads. And that was trade.

How could you tell if someone was nicking fuel from the car? I doubt float switches would work as the level changes with temp etc. Looks like proximity sensors are the way to go! Even though they can be really annoying.

Lots of heating oil and diesel thefts down this way.

i only have the std volvo alarm and imm on mine but thats good one of the best around and plus mine goes off if any one is near it for to long

the trans am is not even locked but is shut up at work under cover but its so easy to get in it its not worth locking

Noticed someone said about getting a Clifford cat 1. Not sure if it was the same person who mentioned remote start. If you fit remote start to your alarm, it is no longer a cat 1 and in most cases you would not save on insurance, but actually invalidate it.