Car respraying - Supposed to be shiny.

fredted40x

Car
Rover
Hi,

Just found the forum on the net, looks a great place to hang out.

I have one question about my car that i need help with.

I had my car resprayed the other day and its not shiny, apparently it was so hot the paint was drying too fast and thats why it has a sortoff matt finish, I'ts a metallic paint so its supposed to have lacquer etc.

Would lacquer not be shiny if it dries to fast or have they just not put it on?

Apparently they are going to buff it to try and make it shiny, isnt this just a temporary thing though?

What would you suggest?

Thanks

i thought it would have to be hot as the cure the paint in an oven
paint does flatten down after painting hense why its normally wetsanded and polished back up

and welcome to the site mate

i thought it would have to be hot as the cure the paint in an oven
paint does flatten down after painting hense why its normally wetsanded and polished back up

and welcome to the site mate

this is true but you dont want the car to hot to start with (the painter should have known this!!)
this happens on normal house hold paint to;)
but as pg says it is normal for a sand and polish but this is generally to get rid of orange peel and blemishes but it also does give the car a nice high gloss finish also!!
and no its not a temporary thing but having a shinny new paint job im sure you will be washing, polishing and waxing it quite regularly anyway so this will help keep the nice gloss finish

and welcome to the site:bigsmile:

Thanks for the welcome and your answers.

Thats ok then so it just needs a bit more work and then it will hopefully look good.

I will let them buff it first and then if its still not good then i will tell him about sanding. Hes just a general mechanic that we know but does everything when it comes to cars.

WIll they have to re-apply the laqueur after sanding?

Whats the best rubbing compound to use after sanding?

:) went out and got some autoglym polish today and going to get some wax in the near future. Will hopefully look good.

Thanks again

Last edited:
The sanding is a very very fine grade of wet and dry paper used wet! A Cutting paste like TCut may also be needed to bring up the shine - but use sparingly and do not use an electric buffer. There is a milder form of TCUT available for metallic paints which would be better than the standard harsh stuff.