Car repairs and services....

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
Who does their own repairs or services on there cars or do you take it to a dealer for the stamp? I know most new cars would go to a garage for the ecu to be reset after a service but all you with the older cars like mine. My Primera has got part sh but i still write in the date and milleage when serviced. I try an do everything myself unless it really needs a garage. But who else will have ago themselves???

i do all my own, when i can. still a few pieces of gear i need to pick up for the wifes pontiac and until then it will go to a shop for alignment/ecu mapping, but aside from that i can do almost anything else.

i do most of the stuff to my car, but wont do it for anyone else
i have bought a bushing kit for the whole car, and if i had a ramp id fit them too,
but i dont so i have to wait until a mechanic can do it

Nope, gave up DIY servicing and repairs years ago due to 'spare bits syndrome'.

This is the offical name for the phenomenon that occurs when one has completed repairs to one's own vehicle and there are still some 'surplus' components left on the garage floor.

Last edited:
try to do most of it myself but the bigger jobs go to a mechanic.
as ive got long services intervals (20k) itll go into the garage to get the book stamped but i try and get the oil changed every 6k and check sparks etc

:lol: Spare bits syndrome. I keep finding bits from the Rover in my garage. Like an intake manifold! Where did that come from!

I get a service done by a garage for the stamp but try to do all the repairs myself - if I have the time. As I don't have a workshop and all of the right tools it is sometimes more cost effective to get a pro to do the work for me ;) (It can be a lot quicker as well.)

I just think of all the times I needed to put the car back together to use it to go an get a missing bit! :evil: Having one car increases your reliance on it and speed of repairs is a major consideration.