Car over fueling too much?

craig20102010

Car
Fiat Bravo 165
Iv got a bravo 2.0litre 165bhp Sport diesel

remapped it now with a DTUK box currently on setting 9 the box comes on setting 7 when you get it for people who are not sure of this box

i made my judgement for this setting slowly increasing each time for a few month plus this is the same engine as the vauxhall astra 1.9 150 SRI just it has been bored out to a 2.0litre and has a bigger garrett turbo fitted and they run that box on setting 11 and are seeing around 200bhp but have no dpf

im due to get it rolling roaded next weekend

having trouble at the minute though since i think the car is over fueling i know this is how the tuning box works by adding more fuel pressure in the common rail but the thing with mine is it has a DPF on it which makes it very hard to judge if iv got the box turned up too much or not by using the amount of black smoke that comes out the exhaust as a guide.

The DPF stops the black soot coming out the exhaust so i cant tell if iv put the setting up too high..

what makes me believe i have is when i take the car to 4k RPM which is where the peak performance should be i notice a massive decrease in fuel where one notch might normally last me 15 miles it will liturally last me that one single burst then drop down to the next notch which is a massive amount of fuel to burn in a short burst of power..it normally kick starts the DPF as well to begin its regenerating i can tell its started since the fan comes on and its quite a distinct sound

its also the same when the cars cold if i do a short journey from home to town might be 6 miles might be 2 miles no matter how far i can guarntee by the time the car has warmed up iv burnt around 15miles worth of fuel (what it would equate to on the motorway)

do you think this is right? or am i over fueling?

whats the best way to check / tell?

Best way to check is with a wideband lambda sensor and gauge/datalogging. If you don't have one you could always take it to a rolling road.

It will measure your air to fuel ratio champ and plot if onto a graph so you can see when and where you are too rich/too lean, if you are.