Car mods: Unrealistic expectations

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I have to note that most of the people I meet who are just getting into modding cars have totally unrealistic expectations.

Most seem to think that spending small amounts of money leads to large power gains and the car will still be as cheap to run as it was before and won't suffer from broken parts which can't cope with the power gains.

Others seem to think that you can just bolt on a turbo like a nitrous kit and get another 100bhp from the engine.

Then there are a few that think adding any plastic parts or lights to a car make it look much cooler!

What are your thoughts? Are your expectations more realistic now? Were you ever disappointed or surprised at how little a power gain you got from a mod?

Yes I was pretty green to start with, I thought that all the advertised power gains for the extra hardware add-ons would total up to a huge power hike. Unfortunately it was not long before I discovered this was not the case.

Luckily, I research most things before I commit to them. So I have always been aware that mods dont allways give you whats expected!

What always makes me smile is those who add up all the claimed bhp increases on all their mods and then tell people they've got another 50bhp.

Sorry old son, it doesn't work like that.

What always makes me smile is those who add up all the claimed bhp increases on all their mods and then tell people they've got another 50bhp.

Sorry old son, it doesn't work like that.

For me in the old days - Guilty as charged your honour! :oops:

Two pet hates

Quoting bhp without dyno print outs to back it up. Especially its the torque curve under the line that says what the power is like.
And of course even with a print out its only a guide.

Secong and my real pet hate the much asked.......

What turbo is best for my na engine as i want more power

What turbo is best for my na engine as i want more power

That is a question which must rank in the top 2 of the ones we get here on TorqueCars.
There is no escaping it I'm afraid Brian ;)

I just try to be helpful and point them to your turbo post write up Brian as they genuinely don't know, bless em! :)

I love diesels for the mpg and power, but I still find them dull.

I wonder if even when I've saved my pennies and bought myself a nice BMW 3.0 diesel, will it still be dull?

Fast yes, but still dull?

I still miss my little hot hatches.

I love diesels for the mpg and power, but I still find them dull.

I wonder if even when I've saved my pennies and bought myself a nice BMW 3.0 diesel, will it still be dull?

Fast yes, but still dull?

I still miss my little hot hatches.

Ive had the 3l diesel, was not dull mate, I can assure you lol!!!

Er, the zip you get when driving a highly-tuned n/a engine. (;-> Holding it in gear at 4k and then flooring it, instant throttle response and whipping round to 7 or 8k in a scream of four-pot joy. Also just the go-kart like handling of a small 3 door hatch. Lightness of controls.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a 535 or a mapped 530 and that's likely what I will end up in cos it'd be the only car I'd need for the next 10 years. Speed and decent mpg and space and toys and it'll still handle well.

But I can't afford that yet - it'll take me about 4 years from now to save enough to get a decent example.

Between now and then I'll be driving my Focus diesel. It is in great condition, it can go quite well now it's remapped. It is a decent car, comfy, well-equipped and easy to drive and I look after it.

BUT I don't look forward to driving it. And I never will really.

So part of me wants to swap it now for a decent 182, shop around, get a good one with all the bits done, that I WOULD look forward to driving. There are still some good late models around if you're careful.

The other part thinks don't be daft, just wait.