Car mats can seriously damage your car!

It killed my Toyotas gearbox :cry: . First gear got worn away where it kept crunching into gear and it crunched in second even with the mat removed! We thought it was the clutch and got it changed and the problem remained - mats were to blame but the damage was irreversible. (pun not intented!)

They were pretty thick, I noticed the clutch was dragging and the new clutch didn't improve matters until the guy at the garage thought the mats were the problem - he took them out and PRESTO no more dragging clutch! Gearbox was knackered though - it goes to show that you should get stuff seen to as soon as possible.

Two Tone Tribe said:
if thwey were standard then you could have claimed the expense of a new gearbox on the insurance surely.

I doubt they were standard, but if they were, then as stated above, you could claim from the insurance or from a dealer, if you bought it from them.

Unfortunately they were Halfords specials. Tailored to fit (it actually fits about 15 different models of car!!!!)

Ive only had 2 cars but I'm only 18.

The fiesta, I bought Ford Fiesta Mark 4 Rubber Mats from eBay so I knew id get no problem with them.

And as for my current car, the peugeot, they came with standard Peugeot mats.