Car clunk during gear change, transmission light is on, would changing gearbox oil fix this problem?

FastLife91

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford Focus mk2
only had car 9 months ago, it has had around £2200 of repairs done since then, inc head gasket which cost £950 but later found out only water pump was replaced. now a chemical test has revealed hg is gone but garage refuse to fix it so will have to get it done elsewhere.

My question is this

Transmission light has been on ever since I got my car around 9 months ago ( didn't know what it was at first ) car goes into every gear brilliantly but I hear a clunk at low gear change or when at idle when taking foot of clutch pedal.
Also transmission light often comes on.

My mechanic friend said replacing the gearbox oil ( as current GBO is dirty) should solve the problem. could he be right ?

Ye definitely try changing gear oil before you spend $$$ on it. Also make sure you use the manufacturers own oil. Dont just get it from halfords just because it is the same grade. It shouldn't be much more expensive. dealership's aren't as bad anyanymore.

Ye definitely try changing gear oil before you spend $$$ on it. Also make sure you use the manufacturers own oil. Dont just get it from halfords just because it is the same grade. It shouldn't be much more expensive. dealership's aren't as bad anyanymore.

thanks

will try replacing gearbox oil, would bad gearbox oil cause a clunk noise and transmission light on though ?

cheers

Well yes depends on how much oil is actually in it, could be that the drive shaft is not quite in. I had this on a astra Cdti. Shaft was in enough to drive, but after a while it popped out, not completely out. But enough to not engage. I thought gearbox had gone. Dont know how good you are with a spanner, but its not a big job. Locate the gearbox drainage bolt, and drop oil into decent container, whilst under car follow drive shaft and just check if its all the way in. When topping up the oil, car should be level, so just gently lower your jack .GENTLY. put your wheel under the sill of car near front door just incase it slips. Will save you smashing up your disks. Then top up oil through the correct filling point. Check the capacity of oil it should hold, then just squeeze it in mate. When you have used the right amount, oil should just trickle out of box. Replace nut quickly. Car must be level. That's the norm. Don't quote me on this , looking at you tube is always a good idea.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back