Car bra.

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
Can someone tell me what is the point of these things?
Megane_Bra_1.jpg

Has anyone on here got one?
I really don't see the point in them but in the last couple of days i've seen loads of cars wearing them. What is the point?

Supposedly to protect the leading edge of the bonnet from stone chips etc.

Personally I can't get that precious about a car. What's the point of having it if you don't want to drive it?

But a few minor chips that are accrued over dozens of thousands of miles look far better than that silly black thing!!

Buy a touch up paint stick is my advice.

Unless, of course, it's some new material that supposedly defocusses infra red laser light from a hand held speed trap.

Hardly covert though!

We've already discussed this one!

As HDi said, it's to protect the front of the bonnet that could get hit my a stone or something. I think they look awful and wouldn't put one on my car.

do they even work? it looks far too small to have any kind of affect.. you might as well get a plough on the front!! :D

We've already discussed this one!

As HDi said, it's to protect the front of the bonnet that could get hit my a stone or something. I think they look awful and wouldn't put one on my car.

I keep seeing them on cars near where I live. But why bother protecting that bit of the bonnet when the rest of the front is uncovered? :blink:
Baffles me. :confused:

It's a bit of a trend at the moment. They do actually work quite well but I think a lot of people just add them to be in the in-crowd! Remember that although they are not big they are quite thick and when you are travelling at 50-70 they will deflect most potential stone chips.

It's a bit of a trend at the moment. They do actually work quite well but I think a lot of people just add them to be in the in-crowd! Remember that although they are not big they are quite thick and when you are travelling at 50-70 they will deflect most potential stone chips.

But only on the bit covered. Unless it covers the whole front end whats the point? Everyone I see is just a bonnet protector. But what about the rest of the front end? :confused:

If you crouch down level with it you will not see very much of the bonnet at all. Most stone chips are flicked upwards from the car in front so they get deflected on the front of the car bra. Most stone chip damage is towards the front third of a bonnet anyway.

That said why is the wings, front bumper and grill not protected? I do agree that there is little point to the things but they do a good job of protecting the bonnet.

Leave it on for 6 months in full sun and you'll have a nice faded paint effect when you take it off! ;)

They were quite popular for flat faced vehicles like VW Transporters (or 'Camper Vans' or 'Minibuses' if you prefer) which are obviously more likely to get chipped, and they seemed to have moved to other members of the Vee Dub crowd and now on to modern cars.

I'd buy one if it stopped my bloody windscreens from getting chipped.

I'll design a leatherette one that you put over your windscreen whilst driving to protect it from chips.

Can anyone see any design flaws in my innovative plan?

No! Great Dragons Den here I come!.........

And it needs to cover the head lamps and the grille so I don't get chips on the lens or the fan :p

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back