Car alarms

ourcassy

Wrench Pro
Car
Dacia Duster 4x4
Hi all. Had my new motor since early October (63 plate) & some lowlife has taken a screwdriver to the drivers door lock. In a way I feel somewhat lucky. A, were they disturbed & legged it, or B, did they give up & walk away. Only slight damage & not too noticeable, BUT, why do I feel lucky? If they were disturbed & legged it, only the lock suffered, but if they gave up, consider the damage they could have inflicted on the car in sick frustration! So the purpose of the posting is, recommendation for a quality alarm & fitting service. I've looked at Toad (I had their Datatool on my 'bike) & also Cobra. Also considering the dealership I bought the car from, Renault Peugeot Nissan in Huddersfield, when the service dept. decide to pick the 'phone up.
Cheers

Sorry to hear the bad news buddy :sad2:

I would leave the dealership alone as they will probably call in an independent to fit a system and charge you the earth for them making a phone call.

Cobra are good and the systems they make are quite complex depending on how far up the scale you go. I would opt for a tracker system that uses VHF & GPS then at least if the rascals get into the car the car can be tracked quite easily by the police, even if they hide it in a car park etc.

I have the Cobratrak plus 2011 system and it is very good. The system has a Thatcham approved code: TQA234

Contact your insurer for a list of their approved systems, then contact the manufacturers of those systems for an approved installer. Do NOT go through the dealership it is an unnecessary expense and your money will go further directly with the alarm company.

Good luck buddy.

Last edited:
There are some good options around that offer a "tracker" system using a mobile phone with GPS.

I was quoted £150 for such a set up.

Not full blown tracker by any means but equally not £300-400 a year either.

Do they still do those proximity alarms? They go off if someone stays too close to your car for a set amount of time. Would stop these idiots from trying it on with a screwdriver.

I've emailed insurer for their approved types. Awaiting response.

That information should be pretty much to hand, so in theory I would expect a turnaround of information not longer than 24 hours if you went to the insurer directly or up to 48 hours if you went via the broker.

Well rather than wait for a reply to my email I rang them, their reply was that they don't have an approved list of alarms, but as long as it's Thatcham Cat 1 it's approved. My insurer is Aviva.

@adam1983. When I was a 'biker one of our lot had a proximity alarm which gave an audible warning to "back off you're too close" if they didn't, the ear piercing siren kicked in. Great days.

If it was legal I would have an electric current running through the body to stop any thiefs.
Not sure the local cats would approve though :)

After making some alarming enquiries, (ouch) I've arranged for a Clifford Can Bus alarm to be fitted at my home by GAP Security Systems. They seem to receive very good reviews, we'll see. I'll post up when the job's been done & dusted on my er! Duster (sorry!)

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back