Car Aircon other uses??

Mx5

Torque Junkie
Car
3.8 V6 Holden Skip
Would it be worth taking the car heating system rerooting the pipes and feeding it straight onto the Air Filter instead of into the car and removing all of the bits no needed so it only feeds the coldest air it can onto the filter?

(i would look to do it on a mx5 not a stupid corsa:))

i love the fact you are using your initiative (thinking outside the box) and researching every single possibility for your mx5 project!!!

yes using the a/c to cool down intake temps will work!
but sadly cost over gain is the issue here:sad2:

I was just thinking as i will prob be taking out the heating/cooling system to save both weight and space i wondered if what i believe would be a small amount of work to make it possible or would it be alot of work i just dont no :D

Waste of time. The energy that the compressor consumes will outweigh the benefits of using the A/C to cool the air intake.

The laws of theromdynamics cannot be eluded.

By all means ditch the A/C components to save weight (I wouldn't - I've spent far too many years driving comfortable cars to go without A/C and climate management) but diverting cold air from the A/C to the air intake is pointless at best.

Hay' that was my idea!!

My car had a/c (which I don't really care for) so I just snipped the belt which drives the compressor. So I can easily stick a new one on when it comes time too sell it.

I think i mentioned that just today in reply to your original post about weight reduction......?

Though I forgot to mention that the compressor does consume approx. 5bhp(not confirmed) when running.

Not sure.. memories fade at my age.................. ;)

why not do what another member on here has done, remove the AC but fit a supercharger in its place. along with an intercooler youll have more air entering the engine with more fuel = more power

Hook the pipe from the compressor up to an air horn.

Use your head, your feet are for dancing :)

The A/C compressor is a sealed unit. It compresses R134a refrigerant, not air.

I like the principle though. Hard wire it to the igntion switch and pretend you're driving around Turin.

Put an ice pack in your air intake box! It will help drop intake temps by a fraction of a degree.

An electric water pump will save you some power loss at the crank.