Cant fill full tank on lancer 95

nseries

Tuner
Car
Lancer GLX 95
Hi there,

My lancer fuel tank should be 50Litres,stated in the manual.But in the old days,i can only refuel fully to 45Litres maximum and I didn't care much about it.Now its happening worse, it can only refuel up to 32Litres with approximately 180km according to my mileage reading. What is the problem?

For your info,I have done one by one service on my car just to find out what's the problem but still cant solve it.

1)Done caburator servicing and cleaning.
2)Done changing fuel filter.
3)Done checking for the fuel tank got any cracks or not.

Thanks,

It sounds like the fuel tank sender is faulty. The tank is full but the gauge is not registering this.

Now it could be reading lower so you are in fact filling up a partially empty tank which explains why you are not getting as much fuel in it. Then when it is full up I would guess it is only showing that it is partially full.

Some times the fuel pump shuts off automatically too soon. They (I think) use air pressure in the tank to allow the delivery. Try filling up more slowly if this is the case and it might be a fuel tank breather pipe problem or similar.

Thanks for you guys replying,

#3.Turbonutter69

Yes,I have ran full tank to empty,set the mileage reading to 0 and it only runs up to 180km only.Last time can ran up to 260km, its really a huge difference and I wonder what's happening.

#4.Wayne

I tried filling up very slowly but still the fuel will overflow indication its the maximum fuel.Is it the fuel pump that is causing this problem? I know my car isn't carrying so much fuel, its only 32Litres for 180km. Its not normal for a 50Litres tank equipped.

Have you considered the possibility that your cars fuel economy has been dramatically reduced, and taken this into account?

Another possibility, is there a big dent in the fuel tank?

Perhaps you can help us to help you a little by considering the following questions and giving us reasons for your conclusions.

1) Is the fuel gauge accurate?
2) Is the tank filled up or is it that the fuel pump thinks it is full up?
3) Does the fuel gauge go all the way down to empty and all the way up to full?
4) Have you tried using a different fuel pump?
5) Fill the car up really slowly and brim it, what does the fuel pump say you've put in it?
6) Was your fuel tank really empty when you started to fill it up?

Hi wayne,

Sorry I cant answer all your questions yet because I haven really checked all the fuel system in my car.For all until now,I have checked the fuel tank and there isn't any dent on it.As for the fuel to be empty,I tried running to the empty tank till the engine cant even start.I have to pour a little of fuel to the tank and start it.By this,I'm really sure I have ran the tank to the emptiest.And when filling up the fuel very slowly,it will overflow indication it is very full of fuel.

And for your info, I haven get my car to check the fuel pump and fuel gauge because I don't know how to to check these two.Might send to workshop when I have a holiday for some leave.

Thanks,

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back