Can you enjoy a spirited drive at the speed limit

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Can you fully enjoy a spirited drive and still keep within the speed limits?

Whilst not condoning speeding at all or even encouraging it I just wondered if keeping to the limits was impairing your driving pleasure?

For me a nice challenging twisty road is satisfying and going fast on a long straight is comparitively boring.

If it is a twisty road with a 50 or 60mph limit it would be really fun and no need to go any faster.

Long straights are boring, I agree. I'm looking forward to testing my new suspension setup in the twisties, from Stoke to Barmouth, against my mates Lotus when he gets back into town. Way too much bodyroll before to stay planted at speed.

So, Yes. Spirited driving within the speed limits is possible as long as there are sufficient challenges for the driver.

The roads around here are generaly twisty and at night pretty much desterted. a sprint round the lanes gives plenty of amusement without the need to speed. indeed going at the limit would be terrifying, slidey, muddy, and terrifying, not to mention just a little bit dangerous.

wide main roads hold no joy for me at all, jammed with sunday drivers and speed cameras, plus no corners means no fun IMO.

Agreed - twisty roads are good and there isn't much need to go above the speed limit to enjoy them.

Straight roads are only boring because we've such archaic speed limits imho. Blasting down the unrestricted parts of the German Autobahns at 170+ was a real thrill, but 70mph along a motorway is boring as hell. You need a lot more speed to make a straight road fun, which just isn't going to happen in the UK.

Last edited:
Is it better in the wet or the dry? Personally I quite like the challenge of driving on wet greasy roads although there is a greater risk of error.