Can anyone help?

Rustyboy7

Hey guys, just registered on this.

I have a MK4 Golf 2.0 GTI 115bhp

I have spoken to a few folk about a remap and they had said i was better going with a supercharger or turbo kit as the gains from a remap are very small.

I have absolutely no idea where to go for a supercharger or turbo kit.

I live in Scotland, but i wondered if anyone knew any websites etc

Cheers

Hi rusty,

Depends on your budget mate, maybe an engine conversion or tuning of the engine as i know they have alot of potential!!

i agree if you are looking for big power gains get a engine swap, if you want to keep the same engine go for the turbo/supercharger route, if you want a small-ish supercharger that might fit your car, have a look on ebay.

there are always a few eaton m45's on there with delivery miles on them(meaning the car has been driven to the dealership/persons house an they have taken the supercharger off an are trying to sell it. so basically new)

might have to check up on if it will fit though, dont just go an buy one without doing reserch.

linky linky
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/bmw-mini-coop...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

should give a nice powergain, but you should talk to claymore about them, he fitted one to his fiat(?)

Last edited:
Mk4 Golf GTi waw never meant to be a high performance car. Its 8 valve single cam engine gives flexible driving and will stand up to being left in 3rd gear down to walking pace. A turbo would spoil its flexibility because you'd have to drop the compression ratio to make best use of it.

Try an owners forum, they always have the best info on specifics for a vehicle. Other than that you can try to talk to some shops around you. Sorry not to be much help ^o^

Mk4 Golf GTi waw never meant to be a high performance car. Its 8 valve single cam engine gives flexible driving and will stand up to being left in 3rd gear down to walking pace. A turbo would spoil its flexibility because you'd have to drop the compression ratio to make best use of it.

isnt there a 16 valve version? might be wrong.

anyway, um yeah i agree with hdi, i would go down another route like a stroker piston kit and fast road cams, new air filter, complete full exsaust system, stuff like that.

Rusty,

This i how i would do it if you were a customer, Ask yourself what power you want and what application , Then i would recommend what i would do for the power gain, i.e if you want low end torque i would spiral flow the head and run a larry cam, Throttle bodes with custom mangement etc, Also with a fou cylinder light weight flywheel, This would give you big gains and stay with the same engine, Or if you want serious power i would an engine swap or a custom turbo kit/ supercharger kit, with a custom kit i reckon we can get around a 60% power increase

Just like to add, You can run a low pressure system that allows you to keep the standard comp ratio, However, If you do want to run high boost HDI is right you lose that low end however, if we work the head we can compensate this and cancel out that power lose by swirl flowing the head and gas flowing it, This allows the car to have the same driveabilty as a hih comp engine

Sure, but if thre is spelling mistakes its due to the time!!

Normal flowing concentrates on flow of air to the cylinder, Whereas spiral flowing does the same as normal flowing but also concentrates on making the air 'spiral' This does two things, 1st it help create better mixture and quantity of air and fuel then allowing a better combustion and flame front creating more power.
2nd what it creates is a spiral effect on the air to allow more air and fuel to enter the cylinder in the time given, In effect in creates a 'vortex' like a plug hole.

Hi rusty,

Depends on your budget mate, maybe an engine conversion or tuning of the engine as i know they have alot of potential!!

Hey, thanks for ur promt replies!!!

I am not clued up on engines and stuff, I know how to handle a car and thats as far as it goes.

Budget wise i'm not too concerned about as i have been saving for a while and just sold my old house, so I have a few pounds to spend.

Would prefer to keep the engine i have but if the costs are the same for a supercharger or a new engine, i would go with that

I have no idea where to go for these things, thats why im stuck

There was a 16 valve variant, which was worth about 135bhp IIRC. Having driven both it and the 8v I preferred the 8v due to its better in gear flexibility. It was also much quieter.