Can anyone help me win a argument with my mate?

hough

Road Burner
Car
VW T5 swb 2.5tdi
Hi, can anyone please help me with an argument with one of my mates, recently he went to halfords and had an induction filter fitted to his car, which does not fit properly as in, there is not a good air feed into the filter unit and one of the air intakes tubes after the filter has been slightly squashed so the induction will fit under the bonnet, iv tried telling him this will affect the fuel and loss power but the bloke at halfords has told him the filter is fine and i dont know what im talking about, so im i wrong??????

and when i say the air intake tube has been squashed i mean it about half the width it was in the first place......

If the guy at Halfords says it is OK, then it must me as they are expert at fitting these items. I believe they have to go through a rigorous and intensive training course that covers all aspects of car maintenance, ICE installations and engine modifications.

The last 45 minutes of the of the hour long course is spent learning how to walk and talk at the same time.

Last edited:
Squashing the intake isn't going to help matters, the aim is to get as much air to the engine as possible, so tight bends & restrictive hoses won't aid that.
Where's the filter fitted? if it's not getting a good feed of cool air then it will be sucking hot air from the engine bay/ exhaust manifold which will have a detrimental effect on performance (heat soak).

Let him get on with it & in a months time when he's realised his fuel economy has got worse & he's complaining that his cars not accelerating properly you can turn around & say I told you so! :lol:

If the guy at Halfords says it is OK, then it must me as they are expert at fitting these items. I believe they have to go through a rigorous and intensive training course that covers all aspects of car maintenance, ICE installations and engine modifications.

The last 45 minutes of the of the hour long course is spent learning how to walk and talk at the same time.

rofl.gif

the bloke at halford fitted a pipercross viper style universal induction kit on to my mates old vauxhall corsa (l reg) the filter is right behind one of the head lights with not much room for the air to flow in and cos he had to squash in the main filter unit the bend in the inlet pipe after the filter now has a crushed bend not a nice flowing bend, but as i said the man from halford said this is ok but my mate will not have it that this is not good.....

the bloke at halford fitted a pipercross viper style universal induction kit on to my mates old vauxhall corsa (l reg) the filter is right behind one of the head lights with not much room for the air to flow in and cos he had to squash in the main filter unit the bend in the inlet pipe after the filter now has a crushed bend not a nice flowing bend, but as i said the man from halford said this is ok but my mate will not have it that this is not good.....

Sorry my bad I thought you were having an argument between you & your mate. :embarrest:
In that case, if he's not happy then he's within he's rights not to accept it.

The fitter is a moron. Tell your mate not to buy stuff from Halfords again (unless it's a rattle can) and get a refund. Pictures would help though.

well my mate seems happy with the new universal induction filter, as for the performance i cant tell you as i dont drive it, but i have noticed that on the tips of his exhaust they is a lay of black soot forming and iv tried telling him that the ducting shouldnt be squashed in any places as this will affect the air flow, and yes his has said the fuel economy has got worse.....

Squeeze your friends or Mr Halfords wind pipe about half way and see if they can breath and operate properly. I believe this will win your case (Not so sure about the court case though)

Squeeze your friends or Mr Halfords wind pipe about half way and see if they can breath and operate properly. I believe this will win your case (Not so sure about the court case though)

Very well put and totally true! you need a totally unrestricted cold air flow;)

I will see if i can get a picture for you prince, and aston i see your point not sure if i will give it a go tho, but will get my mate to read this thread next time i see him... and i take it the black soot on the inside of his exhaust tip is where the engine is running to rich as there is not enough air being sucked in now?

and thanks gummy just wish my mate got a proper air filter kit for his car and not some weird looking universal induction kit and got a mechanic to fit it and not halfords

What car does he drive? More often than not the original filter/box are the best. Some people just like the Chav look, PPC magazine did a test of chav ad-ons and in every case the car lost power.

he drives some old vauxhall corsa i think it a 1.6 but not sure and not sure what make the filter is but it was a cheap halfords filter

I am fairly confident he's wasted his money even if the airway wasn't choked. Halfords have a good returns policy,

There are a million and one topics on air filters and the aspects of how they work and are induction kits really any good.

Your mate brought a cheap filter from Halfrauds.. Honestly, what did he expect? No offence but he clearly has no understanding of engines or air restriction. You know your right, so leave it at that and just point and laugh...

the only trouble is the unit is just over a week old but i think the halfords mechanic has messed up some where as he has told my mate the unit is fine but as i said you can see he has crushed part of the air intake ducting where he forced it in, but will get him to look at the comments on here

thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Take some pictures & email them to Halfords customer services & see what they have to say about it. :mad:

Better then my idea! :lol:

If you get time, could you show us some pictures? I would like to see if the damage is bad, if the halfrauds customer support is as bad as the shop assistants then you have no chance!

i should be seeing my mate this thursday and i will see if i can get a picture then, the silly thing is he paid only £40 for the filter but nearly £60 to have the thing fitted, but he also had a custom twin box exhaust fitted at the same time and the car sounded great for an old corsa, just think he wasted his money on the filter and again thanks guys

Take some pictures & email them to Halfords customer services & see what they have to say about it. :mad:

When I got issues with my V.A.G. service here in Cro they refused to take any responsibility. After I told them I will writte an letter and post it to every car magazine in country and to every forum in Europe, also that I will post it even to V.A.G. in Germany and Seat to Spain they sudenly refresh their memory and everything I ask was fullfiled.
So, my vote goes to pictures, email and blackmail. ;) If it worked in Godforgotten country where I live it should work in UK even better. :lol:

at the same time ? ..............must be the advanced management course

i should be seeing my mate this thursday and i will see if i can get a picture then, the silly thing is he paid only £40 for the filter but nearly £60 to have the thing fitted, but he also had a custom twin box exhaust fitted at the same time and the car sounded great for an old corsa, just think he wasted his money on the filter and again thanks guys

That's an expensive rate! That must be around £120 an hour!

Well the £60 was the hourly rate, as it took the mechanic just over 45 minutes to fits my mates induction kits, if you can call it that......

Tell him to get his money back.Then drag him into B+Q and buy some of the flexi pipe they sell for less than a tenner a metre and replace his original airbox. Now this bit is coming from the memory of a decrepid 58 year old so may be abit wrong, but inside the airbox iirc there are various 'stuck up' bits inside the casing,these want removing, cut them/dremmel whatever. This increases the box capacity as well as smothing out the air flow.Now with the flexy pipe attach it to the 'inlet' bit of said airbox and put the other end down towards the front of the engine bay, usually down under the radiator. Now be sure to have it pointing backwards or at least sideways or the first puddle you drive through you will think you have turned your car into one of those airial water bombardment aircraft !!. You can also use the pipe to smoth out the flow line after the maf/map ( which ever ??) to the throttle body.
Ps, go poke your mate in the eye with a sharp stick.:blink1: