Can any one help????

davea4t

Car
audi a4 turbo
I've just bought a A4 turbo,which has been chipped it hasn't any other mods but i've heard that i may need to fit a uprated fuel pump is this correct?:confused: also are there any other mods which would help or are needed. thanks

Chipped or remapped cars generally are set up by the tuner so that they work within the tolerances of the factory hardware. If you were to fit a higher flow pump; along with high flow injectors, you would need to

1. increase airflow with more boost or mechanical work (or both)

2. alter the fuelling to cope with the extra available oxygen

Generally with tuning the first goal is to get more air into the engine and then adjust fuelling to suit.

So, basically, you'll be revisiting your chip tuner or remapper when the new pump is fitted if you want to take full advantage if it.

Incidentally, your A4 - petrol or diesel?

hey! thanks for your help! Its a 20v petrol, i have a slight surge intermittently before full boost thats why i was thinking about the fuelling perhaps its running slighlty lean? the car has had a new engine fitted 40,000 miles ago but the car has done 160,000 perhaps the fuel pump could be lazy?

Last edited:
is it one of the cheap £2.99 ones off ebay ? if it is get shot of it and get a proper remap.
you shouldnt need a fuel pump as a chip/remap should give you around 190bhp for the older 150 engines or 210 for the newish 190bhp engines.
there are people having to change the turbos for more power before they are having to uprate the pump. (standard k03 turbo can go to around 210 before it starts to have problems)

there is 15 different fuel pumps for the VAG petrol engines

Last edited:
I'd agree about the ebay stuff, if its one of them, get shot for sure.

If you are woried about the fueling i would get your car onto your local rollers and check the fueling properly. You dont want to spend money on a fuel pump you might not need.

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi Dave and welcome, nice to have another Audi owner along. I've moved this thread into the Audi Section for you.;)

The only way to properly change the engine computer timing is with a remap. I've only seen 1 chip that works and this is a fiddly solder in job and it is very generic. A custom remap will setup your car perfectly taking into account what you have already and how it is working.

The standard pump and injectors are good for around 250bhp so you shouldn't worry too much about uprating them just yet.

thanks for your help waynne, yeah some guy from wales soldered it in i think it was around £250 for the lot? the person before found him on the net! nice to know the pump and injectors are capable 250 bhp

i'd agree with waynne here. the standed fuel pump can cope with alot more than you have at min. my best bet is to rolling road it an get it set up that way. mine is chipped an tunned at audi through a friend who looks after my car and i must say i've not had a prob with it in anyway mate.

mines running bout 168bhp waynne. audi only have there basic tunning stuff but touch wood its working well. with a happy 36mpg on run. as far as i know he did it at east kent audi. but i leave it with him to do that sort of thing for us